What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, October 8, 2021

Time Machine Co-ordinates VII-XIII6966165666772

 


Elvis:  Well, Chris, you've certainly gotten sloppy these last few weeks.  Last week you messed up the co-ordinates, this weekend you had the years all messed up...


I know, right?  I've done better while drinking than I have sober on this lately!  But I finally got us a set of years that SHOULD be close to where we're supposed to be...


EP:  Oh?  Is that why 2 of the years only had one song each?


But one of them was one of yours, so you can't complain TOO much...

EP:  Yeah, well I'll wait to see if I made the winner's circle...

And this week, Marvin Gaye joins us!


MG:  Hey, glad to be here!


Marvin, I've been thumbing through your life and career- despite your talent, nothing came easy, did it?

MG:  It surely didn't.  You have to believe in yourself a whole lot.  "If you cannot find peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else."

(NOTE:  You know the drill on this, yes?  Anything in quotes is an actual quote.  Anything outside the quotes, consider the source.)


Well, this show will be easy- and we're going to kick it off with one of the three new songs on the M10!  At #10, here's brand new- but sounding like when they first came out- Styx:




***************************************

So, like Elvis mentioned, we have kind of a light load of songs this week, due to some clerical errors...

EP:  Don't blame it on no preacher!  You done messed up!

Um, yeah... so three finalists this week, a would be 6D victim that touched off a research feature that also went belly-up, and a tie for next-lowest tune which I settled by looking at which of the two was higher this chart week.  That leaves Mr Gaye with 8 songs stuck in between to read off this week.  Marvin?

MG:  Yeah?

Um, yeah... are you ready?

MG: I'm good and ready.  I look to change the world through my music.  "I hope to refine music, study it, try to find some area that I can unlock. I don't quite know how to explain it but it's there. These can't be the only notes in the world, there's got to be other notes some place, in some dimension, between the cracks on the piano keys..."

That's great, and I dig what you're saying.  But maybe you could read the list?

MG:  Oh, right! Heh.  Anyway, the songs that didn't get features are...

From 1961 this week, Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee, #4; and the song that tied for the second lowest on its year-end chart but charted higher this week, Ray Charles and Hit The Road, Jack.  It was at #2.  Boy, you sure go through enough gyrations to do these posts!

EP:  No foolin'!  It confuses him, it confuses the audience, an' all so's he can take some cheap shots at me!

Buddy, you're awful ouchy this week.  Something up?

EP:  Naw... let Marvin do his thing, we'll talk later...

Um, yeah.... Marvin?

MG:  Yeah, sorry I brought you down, King!  In 1965 the songs Chris picked were Eve Of Destruction by Barry McGuire, at #3- now that one will lighten a room... 
Yesterday by the Beatles at #4... 
...and Catch Us If You Can by the DC5 at #6....
In 1966, it was Los Bravos and Black Is Black at #3, and the Monkees' Last Train To Clarksville at #10...
...uh oh...

EP:  WHUT 'uh-oh'?

MG:  In 1972... Burning Love by Elvis at #8.

EP:  See, I knew it wasn't worth gettin' all hopeful...

Uh, yeah... maybe we better go to that second debut at #9.  This one was from the Jump Rope Gazers lp, and while Spotify never sent it to me as a single, they did just send me a live version.  But I'll go with the studio version.  Here are the Beths...




*******************************************

Now, see, wasn't that fun?  Bet you feel better now...

EP:  Yeah, I'm okay.  I guess.

And it's just in time for Lawyer Horace Bellbottom and the 6D feature!  Horace, I understand you have a judgeship coming up in your future...



HB:  Yes, I have accepted a position in a dimension between the keys of a piano, where I hope to use the rather limited skills I acquired in your employ to be fair and reasonable...

MG: "I think if I had to choose another profession, I'd like to be a judge because I'm very capable of determining what's right and what's not."

HB: Well, after hearing your song Sexual Healing, I'm sure we are all delighted you didn't go into medicine.  At any rate, our victim to be, having finished off the 1961 top 100 of the year, was the Dovells and the Bristol Stomp.  This helped Chris get the idea of doing a biggest hits about dances- but alas, it was akin to impossible to find such a list, at least one that wasn't well into territory that we had no interest going into- i.e. Gangam Style, the Macarena, etc.  Thusly blocked, Chris made up his own list of his favorite dance songs, carefully excluding songs that weren't really involving specific dance steps, such as our friend Elvis' Jailhouse Rock.  So here, from bottom to top, Chris's favorite dance songs...

Just to make it perfectly clear- just because I like the song don't mean I can do the dance....

HB:  Um, yes... anyway...

10- Kay Starr, Rock And Roll Waltz...
9- Chubby Checker, Pony Time...
8- The Miracles, Mickey's Monkey....
7- Mr Checker again, Limbo Rock...
6- And again, with The Twist...
5- The Peppermint Twist- with a slight preference to the version by Sweet...
4- The aforementioned Bristol Stomp...
3- The Orlons, the Wah-Watusi..
2- Bobby Rydell, Do The Cha Cha Cha...
 and at #1... preferred version by...



...Grand Funk Railroad and The Loco-Motion!  

EP:  ARRRRRRGH!!! Don't any of you care we only have four shows left??????

MG:  Don't look at me, I'm just a guest host....

Elvis... I didn't think it mattered that much to you...

EP:  Well... I didn't either.  But it's been so much fun.  An' now, Bellbottom's goin' on, Nardole's gettin' new ears...  An' don' tell me about havin' the commissary to look after, because that'll be shut down too...

Well, sure, but we'll still do some form of M10...

EP:  Maybe... you weren't sure you were even gonna do that...

Well, I'm not, not entirely... but I'm sure we'll come up with something to do...and we gotta have a Beauty Contest every year!  Anyway, here's gonna be a new contestant this year...



...this is Brittney Spencer, and she sings lead on our latest hit, and highest debut this week, for Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit!  He's doing a cover lp called Georgia Blue, and they get together to knock this one out of the park!  At #5.... that's right, #5....





********************************************

MG:  That lady's got some soul!

Right on!  And now, let's have you give us, first the finalists, next the Overseas If You Please, and third, the big mover this week!

MG:  Right on?  They still say that in the future?  Anyway, your finalists this week...

Cherish by the Association, #1 this week in 1966...
Lulu with To Sir With Love, the #10 this week in 1967...
...and You Were On My Mind by the We Five, #2 this week in 1965!

The Overseas If You Please, thanks to the Fortunes and You Got Your Troubles finishing 87th for the year and 9th this week, goes tom 1965.  This week around the world...

Canada's #1 was Sonny Bono and Laugh At Me...
In the UK, Ken Dodd and Tears....
In South Africa, the Stones and Satisfaction... and you know, satisfaction has to come from within...

EP:  Here we go again...

MG:  Seriously!  "If I do my job well, then God will smile on my offspring and on their offspring. I'm sure my father is seeing a blessing in me..."

EP:  You wanna make book on that?

MG:  What?  What do you...

Um, Marvin?  The OIYP?

MG: Oh, right!  Heh.  In New Zealand, it was their 'missing year', so only God above knows what their song was...
...and in Australia, it was the Beatles and Help!

And the big mover this week in our 5 years, Chubby Checker one more time with The Fly, up 40 spots in 1961 this week, from #79 to #39.

Okay, Big Buddy, the M10 is yours...

EP:  Got it, son!  
8- Geowulf up 2 with I've Been Over It...
7- Alkonost and Solntse down 2...
6- illuminati hotties and Buck Meek move to #7 all time with u.v.v.p., down 3....
4- Duran Duran up 2 with Anniversary....
3- Moon Taxi up 1 with Mission...
2- an' holdin' Gerry Rafferty and Sign Of The Times...

And third week at the top for...




...Tom Morello an' Phantogram with Driving To Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feeling better now, bud?

EP:  Yeah, a little.  I wonder if Noodle needs a caregiver... for a couple weeks, y'know...

Can't hurt to ask him!  Anyway, here's the finals....

Cherish finished 16th in 1966...
The We Five finished 10th in 1965...


And the winner, finishing 1967 at #5....




Lulu and To Sir With Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the man said, 4 weeks left- including the Halloween bash!  See ya next week!


1 comment: