What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Thursday, December 23, 2021

The Long Standard

 And by that I mean, this walk was our "long" version of the "standard" walk for us.  I thought I would take picture "mile markers", a) since I haven't done that in a while, and b) because the course has been changed since then by our use of the disc course trails.  Ready?  Bundle up, it's a tad cold today...


His eminence greets us entering the course

Quarter mile mark, just before the new soccer fields

Half mile, the ridge above those fields

Odd place for a play ball

Thought this was an odd place for a "doggie bag" too- until I saw it was a "flag" for a damaged tree

3/4 Mile- just past where we found the deer carcass

Coming back slowly for a sip, after breaking through the ice and panicking earlier

The first mile- just back inside the woods after the back trail

Mile and 1/4, overlooking the Ravine

Mile and 1/2, heading towards the river

"River?  I'm getting another drink!"

Mile and 3/4, back into the Plex

2 mile mark, north end of the PFW pitch

2 1/4 mark, just on the other side of that trail only Misty can find.  She wants to slog through that back way I took her a while back.  This cold, water, and 6-inch deep mud?  I think not.

2 1/2 mile mark, along the river just before we cross the pitch to make our bridge over the canal.

2 1/2 mile mark, just before home

And home, approximately the 2 2/3 mark.  Time elapsed?  I'm guessing one hour 15-20 minutes.


***************************************************


Oh, and I did say I'd let you know how those beers went.  Here's the first review, for the Ommegang Collaboration 2016:


" Look: Big head, even poured slow ("so as not to disturb the yeast sediment"). Deep amber, very cloudy, lots of the mentioned sediment. Smell: On the pour, a sweet, fruity, bready smell. Bready comes out with a little stir. Taste: I'm thinking, most doppels I've tried with a cider-y, fruit touch. Not overly sweet. Feel: Hey, I'm a stout guy, but this is okay, not watery. Overall, darn good. If they still brewed it, I'd have another!" My score 4.28, 28th of 79 I've reviewed.

 

Night #2 was the Kentucky Winter Golden Stout:

  "Gotta say, the reviews so far are pretty accurate. On opening I got zero aroma, with slightly buttery thereafter. Color an unimpressive muddy amber. Almost no head. After it sat a bit, you pick up the buttery notes along with a "tinny" taste that does it no favors. When we were kids, I had some ten-year old warm Buckhorn that had a more metallic taste, but still not real pleasing. Kinda sticky on the lips without redeeming sweetness. Not a drain pour by any means, but def a one and done for me." I scored it at 3.39, 75th out of 80 on my list.

 

So one winner, one loser.  Later tonight (as I type) will be the New Belgium Oakspire.  My intent is to drop back before this posts and add that review.  See you in a couple of hours! 

 

UPDATE:  Here's the review on the Oakspire: " Once again, sadly, I must agree with the majority here.  Very little aroma, not much more taste.  A hazy dark amber pour without head (mind you, I bought this in 2021).  The alcohol starts to hit as it warms.  It's not unpleasant by any means, just not flavor-forward."  Hopefully that 9.0% abv kicks in quick! I rated it 3.53, #71 out of 81 on my list- or five notches higher than last night's beer.

4 comments: