What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Wednesday Bible Study: People of the Epistles part three

 


Second Corinthians is Paul almost apologizing for the reprimanding done in First Corinthians- not because he did them wrong, but because of the harshness he had to use on a people he considered his children.  But like with our own children, we know this is sometimes necessary; and like with our children, we know there are three ways they can respond to this- and the Corinthians did all three to one extent or another.


The main answer to, "How did they respond" can be found in the verses that the whole book turns around:

2Co 6:11  We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open.
2Co 6:12  You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections.
2Co 6:13  In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also.


Last time, I looked at nine things Paul busted this Church on, and in truth, Paul learned through Titus (who I believe delivered the letter) that they had responded completely to seven of the nine charges.

2Co 7:9  As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us.
2Co 7:10  For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.
2Co 7:11  For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! At every point you have proved yourselves innocent in the matter. 

So this is the first response to rebuke you can have- using it to improve, make changes that needed made.  One of the most heinous charges against them, you may recall, was being accepting of one member's sinful life.  That they took care of this in a firm but loving way was shown in Paul's response:

2Co 2:5  Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure--not to put it too severely--to all of you.
2Co 2:6  For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough,
2Co 2:7  so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.
2Co 2:8  So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him.
2Co 2:9  For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything.
2Co 2:10  Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ,
2Co 2:11  so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.



Point being, that they had to be willing to forgive upon repentance, as Paul did with them, as Christ does with us.  So Paul was very delighted in that they took heart and made changes for the most part.  However, there were two places in which they didn't quite follow through.  Let me bring up the one they apparently responded by NOT responding...


2Co 11:19  For you gladly bear with fools, being wise yourselves!
2Co 11:20  For you bear it if someone makes slaves of you, or devours you, or takes advantage of you, or puts on airs, or strikes you in the face. 


They hadn't yet gotten over their sense of intellectual superiority- a sense that kept leading them into debates with false teachers, debates they weren't winning.  Because of that, they still had a minority intent on Paul-bashing, because these false teachers- "Judaizers"- were trying to undermine Paul, both by the same old "Yeah, he's real tough in letters" theme, but also by putting themselves on an even level with Paul.  Paul, humble as he was, had to "act a fool" to defend against this charge:

2Co 11:21  To my shame, I must say, we were too weak for that! But whatever anyone else dares to boast of--I am speaking as a fool--I also dare to boast of that.
2Co 11:22  Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they offspring of Abraham? So am I.
2Co 11:23  Are they servants of Christ? I am a better one--I am talking like a madman--with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death.


Paul would finish his first argument against them by listing all the beatings, persecutions, and tribulations he'd went through that they hadn't.  Then he brought up another thing he had that they didn't- he had been given a vision of heaven...


2Co 12:1  I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2Co 12:2  I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven--whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.
2Co 12:3  And I know that this man was caught up into paradise--whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows--
2Co 12:4  and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter.


And because of his humility, he not only refused to name "this man" as himself, but related how Jesus then gave him that famous "thorn in the flesh" to keep him humble.  And finally, he used a little snark to make his point...

2Co 12:11  I have been a fool! You forced me to it, for I ought to have been commended by you. For I was not at all inferior to these "super-apostles", even though I am nothing.
2Co 12:12  The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works.

I put the quote marks around "super-apostles" because this was Paul's snark- that they claimed to be so superior, and he was forced against his humility to demonstrate that his superior Apostleship was proven by what he did- the signs of a true Apostle- when he was with them.  Kind of reminds you that, as ridiculous as it seemed when the Hebrews of the Exodus were wondering where God was, even with the Cloud by day, the Pillar of Fire by night, and the Manna every morning- we ourselves are only a step away from being just as stupid.


And in between, there is a half-way done response- they were still "restricted in love", despite the "Love Chapter" he sent them last time.  The problem is the distance between head knowledge and heart-love.  And it was showing up in something else he'd mentioned before- the collection for others.

2Co 9:6  The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
2Co 9:7  Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.


That this was a serious problem was borne out moments before when Paul announced he was sending the "brothers" ahead to make sure they did it right:


2Co 9:5  So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction. 

 

The head-knowledge wasn't making the trip to the heart, and though they were making the collection, they almost saw their tithe as a tax, rather than a love gift to others.  And Paul had to do a little more shaming, by reminding them what was done FOR them...

 

 2Co 11:7  Or did I commit a sin in humbling myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached God's gospel to you free of charge?
2Co 11:8  I robbed other churches by accepting support from them in order to serve you.
2Co 11:9  And when I was with you and was in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my need. So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way.

"I robbed other churches...", and yet, they were grumbling, to some extent, at paying it backwards.  This- and their need to be 'intellectual' about everything- was what was restricting their hearts.  And here I have to bring up a passage that many know- but associate to its application to the subject of marriage.  But its true meaning is beyond one subject.  Let me replay that core passage that I shared at the beginning- along with the more famous passage that's attached to it:


2Co 6:11  We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open.
2Co 6:12  You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections.
2Co 6:13  In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also.
2Co 6:14  Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
2Co 6:15  What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?

2Co 6:16  What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17  Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,
2Co 6:18  and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty." 

 

See, Satan has tried to limit the power of this by getting us to attach it almost exclusively to marriage- when it was meant to impact EVERYTHING in our faith.  Point is, they were still at a point of "partnership" with the world- a partnership that was affecting them in monetary matters and in intellectual matters, and restricting the love they should have been sharing.


What we learn from these people is that there is ALWAYS room for improvement, most importantly in our motives.  How restricted are OUR hearts?

No comments:

Post a Comment