What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, December 17, 2021

M10 show week 3

 

 

Elvis: Wow.  You're very artistic, chuckle...

 

Well, I'm no Rembrandt, but it'll do for this week's M10 list- a list that features 2 brand new debuts!  Also, I have an announcement of upcoming interest, But first, let me give the opening songs this week.

Number 10, a song hanging onto that spot after 7 weeks on the chart, Damien Jurado with a song that follows its own advice, Take Your Time.

Number 9, dropping just the one spot in its 8th week, Tom Jones's #1 Till from 1971.

Number 8, and stepping back a spot this week, Sweet and the 2021 version of Everything.

Okay, King, yer up!

 

Elvis: Yep, an' the latest Billboard top 10 came out moments ago as Chris 'hunts and pecks'.  It's Christmas time, and a lot of the top ten are Christmas songs from long ago...

From 1963, Andy Williams is #10 with It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year....

From 1967, Bobby Helms's Jingle Bell Rock at #6...

From 1964, Burl Ives's A Holly Jolly Christmas is #5...

From 1958, Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree at #3...

And from 1994, Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You is #2.

 

I AM a bit upset, no Blue Christmas on the list... not even in the UK!

 

Oh, buddy, those charts are overrated, pay it no mind.  Now, for a chart you'll really be able to rely on, this weekend, I'll start working on the M10 tops of 2021.  As usual it will be based loosely on the 10-9-8 points system, with modifications by yours truly to better reflect the way they stand with me.  Stay tuned for more details next week.

Hey, whaddabout the Beauty Contest?

Y'know, I don't know.  There's a part of me that wants to have that Christmas bash, and a part that just wants to let those two great bashes we had the last two seasons stand on their own.  But, I'm off until next year, so I have time to decide.  Once again, stay tuned.

 

In the meantime, here come your 2 debuts.  First up at #7 is a dream-pop band I just found called the Manchester Orchestra.  This particular version of the song is the new release called the "Lucius remix" because M10 stars Lucius were mixed into this song to really make it pop.  From the lp The Million Masks Of God...

 

 

***********************************************************

And in a similar genre, M10 superstars Beach House is "slow releasing" the New lp Once Twice Melody.  The first chapter of four contained the title track sitting just a bit farther up.  Last week, the second chapter came out, and I pulled this sure #1 out of it, and it lands at #6...


***************************************************************

 

Elvis:  So, as far as we can tell off the site we use (since no one wants to fork out for a Billboard subscription) the US has 22 Christmas songs on their list, but no one does Christmas tunes like the UK.  They have a yearly thing about the top Christmas song, and this week, that topper debuts at #1- Ed Sheeran and Elton John with a song called Merry Christmas.  They also logged 7 in the top ten and 36 on their hot 100, with 4 of our "big 5" on the list:  Mariah Carey was 4, Brenda Lee was 10, Andy Williams was 20, and Bobby Helms at #32.

 

Well, you know, it ain't Christmas without Der Bingle...

Who?

 

Me, you idiot!

 So where does White Christmas sit?

 

Oh, uh, 28 here, 62 in the UK...

Eek, not that good... but it made me think, I bet I can get the Australian charts too, and sure enough...

 

Did Bing do better there?

 

Tell you in a minute; right now, give us some more of this week's M10!

 

You bet! The Explorer's Club drops one to #5 with Hurts So Bad...

Our Lady Peace up a pair to #4 with Future Disease...

...an' last week's #1- Duran Duran and Tove Lo's Give It All Up, slipping two to #3....

 

Great!  Now as for Australia, I did not see him in their top 50 (and only 5 Christmas songs on their list) but I did see that their #1- one of the few places in the world where Adele's not at #1- they have the pop mix of former M10 Cold Heart by Elton and Dua Lipa at #1!

Just fascinatin' Boss...

Sigh... at any rate, our list closes out thusly:

At #2 again, Beach House with Once Twice Melody...

And our new #1....

Geowulf and Open Me Up!  That gives them their 4th M10-topper!


That's a wrap this week!


 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed both videos, darn good. I listened both, unique.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following Beach House for the length of the M10, they were the first stars of the list. And I always love running into unique acts like MO.

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with the "dream pop" genre, but after listening to your two selections, I'd say that's a perfect description. Very dreamy all around! 👌 The UK Top Christmas Song reminds me of my favourite modern Christmas movie, "Love, Actually." Remember Billy Mack? ☺ Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Here's hoping 2022 will see the end of this dreadful pandemic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to like something with Sheeran, but it was pretty good. Unfortunately, the only Billy Mack I remember was "a detective down in Texas, who know just exactly what the facts is", lol! Amen on the pandemic, that was my middle of the night prayer this morning...

      Delete