What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 4, 2022

M10 Show Week #14

 


Elvis:  Well, come on, be a man and get it over with...

Like I ever claimed to be right all the time...

Oh, just wait'll you guys hear this one!

 It's really not that big of a deal... in reviewing the color #1s from last week I found some songs that I missed, and others who might just be let in on technicalities...

Tell 'em how many!  There wuz 6 of 'em!

 Is there some reason I kept you on board, instead of Lawyer Bellbottom or Nardole?

Aw, c'mon!  You cain't do this without yer Big Buddy....

 One never knows, does one?  So yes, there were three I will admit, I just flat missed.  None of which would have made that top nine we did.  There were also three that could be let in on a technicality... and one one, the biggest stretch, would have made the top nine, so I wasn't too bad off.  So I will let you in on those in between the two debuts on our top ten this week!

That first debut at #10 is something Laurie and I stumbled onto last week- that 3-time #1 act Matthew Sweet had done a couple of cover albums- cleverly called Under The Covers, Volumes 1 and 2- with Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles!



Listening my way through them, I put a couple of likely candidates on the shuffle, and at #10, here's one of them!  From 2006...


***************************************

 

Okay, so let me first tell you the ones I flat missed.  I was in search of songs that Billboard #1ed but not Cashbox, when I discovered I missed Neil Young and Heart Of Gold! #1 for one week, 15 on the chart.

 

Later, I discovered the FIRST one I missed was Brian Hyland's classic Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini !  #1 one week, 16 on the chart.


Then I saw the last undisputed miss at the far end of the years... Crystal Gayle's Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue...

An' that should be worth TWO misses, becuz there wuz 2 colors in it!

Sigh... you just wait, 'Big Buddy', I'll find a reason to replace you with the Beatles...

THAT WORD!  You said THAT WORD!

Yes, I did.  And the next word I'm gonna say is, "More new stuff from Beach House at #9..."


******************************************

 

Now, as to the 'technicalities...'  the one with the biggest claim would be Helen Reddy's Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress). Like Heart Of Gold it was a 1/15 er, and I have no problem admitting it.

The second I have more reservations about, and that is Diana Ross with Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To?).  I do have clear memories of mahogany being in my childhood crayola 64-packs, so I guess I should suck it up and let this in as well.  It was a #1 1 week/chart for 16.

The last one I'm dead set against, even if I have a hazy memory of this color possibly being in that 64 pack, although I'm half convinced it was in a later version that my kids had and thus wouldn't count.  That would be Barbra Streisand with Theme From A Star Is Born (Evergreen).  If I was forced to allow it (and I'm the one who decides, anyway!), it would have come in at #5 (making last week's second list a top ten), with 3 weeks on top and 25 on the charts (topped only by Crystal Gayle's 27).  In all fairness, I do not clearly see that 'evergreen' crayon in my set, no where is it ever called "Ever Green", where the green would get it in, and so I reject the claim.  If you like you can copy last week's post and paste it in at #5, but just remember that if you do, Bobby Vinton, the Fifth Dimension, the Marcels, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and Nino and April will be as mad at you as Neil, Helen, Crystal, Brian, and Diana are at me.  Which in all truth probably isn't that much.


Dude, pick up the rest of the M10!

Sure thing!  An' I just want you ta know I think yer a helluva good man ta set the record straight, even if ya still kicked Rose Garden out...

Whatever, dude...


Anyway, here goes...

 

8- Matt Berry drops 3 with Alone...

7- an' holdin', Lucius an' Next To Normal...

6- up 4, Tears For Fears an' Break The Man... We saw a story on this that when they decided to do a new album and tour with new stuff, their agent was so thrown that he was no longer managing a 'legacy act' anymore, he sent them a "I can't take this anymore!" e-mail and quit....

5- up one for Best Coast and Leading...

4- Maddie and Tae down one with Strangers...

3- Beach House down 1 with Pink Funeral...

2- Envy Of None an' Liar, up 2...

And once again at the top....

 


 

 ...the Cactus Blossoms an' Jenny Lewis with Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Nice job... I guess you do have your uses!  Oh, and BTW- the one that Billboard had and Cashbox didn't- the Stones and Brown Sugar.  Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for missing the last few posts! Kind of in the winter doldrums...I didn't know anyone made a cover of the Bee Gees' Run To Me. It's not bad, but the Gibb Brothers can't be beat, IMO. Beach House has a mellow vibe. I just heard one of Tears For Fears' new songs. I like that much better than their 80s stuff. Silly manager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they can't, but this is a nice memory of one of my favorites of theirs. TFF has also been one of my favorites- one of my memories was explaining to a girl friend just what they meant by everybody wants to rule the world!

      Delete