What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 6, 2022

M10 Show week 23

 


This week, we have 2 debuts, and because it plays into our feature, I want to play the higher one first, and right away!  I was stuck for one more debut between a few songs, actually, which I just hadn't heard enough yet.  And so, I did what I do a lot- went looking into the past.  The Jayhawks' 1996 lp Tomorrow The Green Grass has already wandered into our countdown more organically when their cover of GFR's Bad Time hit the top during the Cover Summer.  I went back to that lp and pulled out this gem for my new debut at #9...



********************************************************

 

Elvis:  Hey, that was cool... but what tangent did it set ya off on this week?

Well, buddy, it set me off on the tangent of, I wonder what was the big charts' record for longest time from recording a song until it hits the chart?  Now, the 26 years for this song on the M10 doesn't come close to the M10 record... and it doesn't beat the longest such span for Billboard that I KNOW of... but searching Google for the subject wasn't all that helpful.

But, I bet ya found some "innerestin' facts", didn't ya?

But of course!  One place the search took me was to the longest CLIMB to #1 on one chart run, recently accomplished by a band called Glass Animals with a song called Heat Waves, which started its climb in January of '21 and finished it in March- 59 weeks in all. And it also took me to Cher's record span between two number ones, 27+ years between Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves and Believe.

But it didn't give me the answer I was looking for- an answer that to the best of my knowledge, I already knew.  And then, it struck me- how about the M10 record?  So we'll get to that one last... but before either, howsabout you cue up the other debut?

Unsurprisingly at this point, it comes in at #10.  She's been here before- he hasn't.  This is the latest from Joy Downer- with some help from Beck...

 

***************************************************** 

 

Okay, so that song I know about had a span of 29 years, from its recording in 1946 to its Dr Demento-driven peak of #30 back in 1975...

 

 

*************************************************

 

Haw, that here was dirty!

In a clean sort of way!  Now, I have for you the songs that made our M10 countdown, from the 1960's on back...

We have a pair of 50-year gaps- one was Jack Wood's Born To Wander, recorded in 1966 and hit #1 on the M10 in 2016; the other was Tom Jones's I Know, recorded in 1967 and hitting here in 2017 (#2).

We have three 52-year gaps: The Four Seasons hitting #1 in 2017 with their cover of Walk On By from 1965; and a pair that were recorded in 1969 and hit last year- Sagittarius's cover of In My Room (#8), and the Ventures' take on Theme From A Summer Place (#4).

A 53-year gap between release and M10 for, again, the Four Seasons and their song Marcie (#6) from release in '64 and M10 in '17.

A 56-year gap for Barbara Lewis and Straighten Up Your Heart (#5) from 1963 to 2019.


And the all-time M10 record- 58 years from its release in 1959 to hitting the M10 in 2017-



...The Fleetwoods and Graduation's Here (#8)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


All right Big Buddy, have at this week's remaining M10!


Sure thing!

Holdin' at #8- Daisy Glaze an' the Ghost Of yers truly....

Goin' Backwards from 3 to 7, Melody's Echo Chamber an' Looking Backwards...

Beach Bunny up 3 to #6 with Fire Escape... 

Goin' up one spot fer the next two songs- Tears For Fears an' The Tipping Point at 5, Melody's Echo Chamber (sounds like an echo in here!) an' Alma at 4.

Sunflower Bean down one to #3 with Who Put You Up To This?

Back up 2 spots to #2 is April March an' Rolla Rolla...

An' still at the top...

 


 ....Brooke Annibale with What If You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 Very good stuff, my friends!  See you next time!

2 comments: