What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 27, 2022

M10 show, week #26

 

So this week officially begins M10 Songs of Summer '22, and we have one debut to help us out. I...

Elvis:  Boy, no enthusiasm here... 

Been a bit of a bad week, and my eyes are way too blurry trying to type this.  Plus, I have to put together a quick feature, and..

An' get food coming!

Yeah, that part's done... so here, whilst I do my research, put up our new debut!


Sure, this is a Scottish band- no kilts, sorry- that has been on a long lay-off, since 2013 (after the death of a band member in 2015, and then that COVID junk), but this is new stuff from a band called Camera Obscura, at #9...

 

************************************* 

 

So this feature is gonna be shorter and sweeter than I thought!  I decided that I would find out what songs Cashbox had at #1 on the lists that came out EXACTLY on Memorial Day.  So I busily (and stupidly, as it turns) began looking for the #1s that hit on May 31st- only to think, "Wait a minute, I should be looking for the last Monday in May!" And when I did that, I realized that THAT wasn't always the case, either!  In fact, during the Martin Era 2.0, the years 1956-1970 had Memorial Day on May 30th, NOT the 31st! And even in the years 1971-7, Memorial Day only landed on the 31st twice, so I would have been almost completely incorrect- two right out of the whole bunch!

 

On the other hand, the way it shakes down, I only found TWO songs that actually did land on Memorial Day!  So I will be sharing with you the two that did- and also, the only two that would have had I stupidly done the 31st like I started out to! In between, my Big Buddy over there scarfing his calzone will give us the M10... Right?

Umph mffpth...

All right, so the two that were actually on the 31st were... 


...the Jackson Five's Never Can Say Goodbye, which hit on MD 1971- and I woulda missed, since CB released on the 29th...

 ...and...

 

...Wings and Silly Love Songs from 1976- which of course, I also would have missed since they release on Friday.


Now further review shows that in the ME2.0, there were but three times that a song did hit #1 exactly on May 31st.  Which means the incorrect list I WOULD have given you would be...



The Everly Brothers with All I Have To Do Is Dream in 1958...


The Beatles and Get Back with Billy Preston in 1968...

Malfsh tadbbbum Bffles...

(If his mouth hadn't been full, that would have been, "Always the dadgummed Beatles...")

And...


 

...Ace with How Long in 1976!


Now, is your mouth empty enough to do the M10?

Yeah, but mah belly sure ain't!  Anyways...

 10 was Melody's Echo Chamber, with Alma on the way down.  She's also got #7, up 3 for Personal Message...

8 an' finally dropping, April March an' Rolla Rolla down 4...

Joy Downer an' Beck up one to 6 with Chain Reaction...

Kinda surprised here, Brooke Annibale's What If You falls 3 to #5...

Up 4, the Knocks an' the Cannons an' Real Life at #4...

The Four Tops edge up one to #3 with One Chain Don't Make No Prison...

In Flight by Sunflower Bean flies up 4 to #2...

An' still at the top is...


 ...the Jayhawks an' I'd Run Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Okay boss, so what ARE the only two songs to hit #1 on Memorial Day?

I'm glad you asked! The only 2 times it happened were...


...in 1959, with Johnny Horton's Battle Of New Orleans- its first week of 9 at the top...

And...



...in 1964, with Mary Wells and My Guy for its only week on top!


All of you have a great weekend, and remember what they gave for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment