What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Walkie Talkies

 So this Friday was declared a "cutter's holiday" at 9 AM (IOW we were too far ahead of the sewers and got sent home), and by 10, Misty and I were "on the road"...

"Hey!  Laurie snuck in a bird picture while I wasn't looking!

So anyway, Kitty sees us off


Bunny at the end of Groundhog Road

The breeze really helped


Misty was glad to be in the shade of the woods

Good morning, Big Guy!




Nothing shakin' woods or pond


Crossed south canal just in time for a fight between 2 redwing families.  Here's losing Mister...

...and the Missus.

Lotsa white butterflies

By this time, the bright sun had put Misty into "creeper gear" when in shade

3 Goldies on that skinny branch

The one squirrel we saw- he seemed a bit staggered by the heat



Apparently half a watermelon on your car wards off evil spirits lol

Saturday morning was much earlier (around 7AM) and much cooler.  BTW that reminds me.  A couple weeks back, the local DNR told everyone that with the 90 degree temps we had, the ticks would be coming out in earnest.  Good advice, except... as soon as we started walking this spring, it was tick-mageddon.  You walk through anything more than 4 inches high, you picked ticks all. night. long.  Once we had the first big heat wave, we haven't seen a one.  Not a one.




Moon was just getting in from a long night

Pines were full of birds


We first got in the woods, it seemed it was just us and this verrrry loud bird.

Fingers of sunshine reaching in



Only squirrel of the morning- a black one.  I think everybody finished last year's nuts and left


At this point, we've broken yesterday's record for not hearing/seeing a disc golfer.  Might we get through the woods without any?

It did help us meet Mr Barn Owl

But then he hears...

Disc golfers... we were so close!


Apparently the river stopped off at Marathon on the way in today...


The two bunnies still hanging out at the corner

Mr Titmouse at the Swamp

At this point, with nothing better to do, I try snapping the swallows getting their speedy breakfast

Of course, the one time I got the swallow, I got nothing else

Well, and this one, kinda

And the bunnies greeted us coming home



 

 
And at the end, we did see the cat... straggling in under his porch fence like he was just getting in.  Him and the moon, lol!


8 comments:

  1. The strangest thing has been happening here. Usually we are inundated with rabbits, everywhere both in the back and front of our house. This year, we didn't see a single one, not one, until this week, and all we've seen this week have been a few bunnies. Can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a few years like that since we've been here- maybe a couple summers in a row without, and then they come back. I think it's just a cyclical thing.

      Delete
  2. Love the pics, as always. ☺ How great to have an unexpected day off! Hope the rest of your weekend is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As opposed to the unwanted days off- Monday my back was hurting and I left at 930, and called in Tuesday. So instead of our normal 50 hours, I worked 26 1/2...

      Delete
    2. Well, that sucks! Hope you feel better now.

      Delete
    3. I was, but then sinus-maggedon struck...

      Delete
  3. Ticks were sneaky. Whenever our family went camping, I spent hours picking off ticks from my kids and their clothes. But, you had a great trip in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a doubt. All spring, we'd get home, I'd sit at the desktop and Misty would curl at my feet. But because she gets her Sentinel pills, they'd climb off her, and pretty soon I'd feel something going up my arm or leg. I was almost to the point of spraying my clothes before we'd go out- but then it hit 90 for 2 days, and they disappeared. Go figure.

      Delete