What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, August 12, 2022

M10 show week 35

 

There's a new world somewhere
They call the promised land
And I'll be there someday
If you could hold my hand...
  


But I guess I'd better get myself together
'Cause when you left, you didn't leave too much behind
Just a note that said, "I'm sorry" by your picture
And a song that's weighing heavy on my mind...


I guess by this you know the heavy thing on this week's countdown are the deaths of the Seekers' Judith Durham and Olivia Newton-John.  To lose two such wonderful singers bang-bang like this really points out our mortality- especially those of us who have lived the Martin Era 2.0.  Needless to say, I have some facts and figures about this (because that's how I deal) that I will post around 3 new M10 debuts.


The first of those replaces one of their own tunes.  At #9, new Chicago:


*****************************************************

 So I did my usual digging, and... counting lead singers of groups, duet partners, and soloists, I found 70 women who hit #1 in the Martin Era 2.0 on Cashbox, plus six others on Billboard.  Of them, Judith and Olivia were #s 23 and 24 to pass.They grabbed 3 #1s between them.


And they are far from the only noteworthy singers, in and out of the ME2.0, and #1s or not, that have passed this year.  I know we have mentioned here Jim Seals and Meat Loaf.  Not as sure if I brought up Mickey Gilley, country legend who boasted 16 #1s on that chart; Naomi Judd, who with daughter Wynona hit #1 country 14 times; HOFer Bobby Rydell, CB hero CW "Convoy" McCall; and Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes.  I know I missed out on Gary Brooker, lead singer of Procol Harum; Donny Gerard of Skylark, who sang the 70's ballad Wildflower; William Hart, lead voice of the Delfonics; and Chariots of Fire composer Vangelis.  And that's JUST the lead singers.

Our debut at #8 is a bit off our beaten path, if the M10 can be said to have one.  They are called Rubblebucket...



***************************************************** 

So by my count, we have lost 34 #1s from the ladies.  These are the women with #1 lead credits in the ME2.0 I have confirmed have joined the Hereafter Band...

 Kay Starr, Gogi Grant, Debbie Reynolds, Della Reese, Little Eva, Leslie Gore, Anita Humes of the Essex, Ronnie Spector, the Singing Nun, Mary Wells, Mama Cass Elliot, Judith Durham of the Seekers, Aretha Franklin, Mariska Veres of Shocking Blue, Karen Carpenter, Lynn Anderson, Edna Wright of Honey Cone, Helen Reddy, Odia Coates (who dueted with Paul Anka), Olivia Newton-John, Fayette Pinkney of the 3 Degrees, Minnie Ripperton, Georgianna Tillman of the Marvelettes, and Janis Joplin.


Debuting at #7, and runner up of the great battle for 10th last week, a current top 10 on Billboard- who else but Harry Styles...


**********************************************************

 

BTW, that one sits at #10 on Billboard this week.

 

Also this week, Lamont Dozier of the famous Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team passed this week. Among their work (of which he was mainly the musical arranger) is most of the Supremes catalog.  According to the Songwriters Hall Of Fame,  "The Holland-Dozier-Holland configuration has composed over 400 songs, 130 of which have scored on the Pop Charts, over 70 were Top Ten Hits and more than 40 reached the number one chart position." I believe this was over the R&B and pop charts.  On the US pop chart, they scored 13 #1s and 35 top tens, according to Wiki.

 

That's a lot of loss to the music world.


I have one more factoid to share, after I give the remainder of the M10.  Actually, I also have an M10 factoid, if you're still awake.

Gilbert O'Sullivan slips 4 to 10 with Let Me Know.

Up a pair to 6 is Maddie and Tae with Every Night Every Morning.

A notch down to 5 for the latest leader in the Song of Summer '22 race, the Jayhawks and Save It For A Rainy Day.

Next comes a Built To Spill twofer, Spiderwebs up 6 to #4, Fool's Gold holding at 3.

Also holding at #2 is Billboard's #3, Harry Styles with As It Was.  It is on the Columbia label, which I mention because the last two weeks have been the only time in M10 history in which one label held BOTH the top two spots.


And again at the top....



...Cannons and Bad Dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And that final factoid- as best I can tell, the oldest surviving ME2.0 lady with a #1 credit...


April Stevens, who teamed with brother Nino Tempo for the #1 Deep Purple... April turned 93, appropriately enough, this past April.

1 comment: