What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, September 16, 2022

M10 show week #40


 Well, another blast from the 1960's past has passed on.  Ramsey Lewis, whose original trio included Red Holt and Eldee Young, died this week at the age of 87.  The trio had a big hit with the instrumental version of Dobie Gary's The In Crowd; the others spun out on their own into Young-Holt Unlimited, who scored with Soulful Strut; their replacements were Maurice White, who was about 3 years away from found Earth, Wind, And Fire, and Cleveland Eaton, who's invite to join the Count Basie Orchestra in 1979 morphed into a 17-year gig.



In case you didn't hear, Harry Styles got that record for weeks at #s 1 or 2, with As It Was claiming a 2nd straight- and 13th overall, week at #1.  In the meantime, Elton John scores his 2nd duet on the top 40, with the same kind of treatment he and Dua Lipa gave to Rocket Man in their duet, Cold Heart.  This time, it was he and Britney Spears, molding Tiny Dancer into the song that debuts at #6, Hold Me Closer.  My opinion:  The first duet played to Sir Elton's remaining skills; this one does not.  Dua either can sing or knows how to use a voice machine; Britney, at least here, does not.  Dua and Elton are at #41 in their one year anniversary on the charts.  I doubt he and Britney will say the same.


Frankly, Britney sounded more like the duck...

Elvis:  Man, you're cold tonight, boss!

Yep, and I may well be right where the name of our lone debut suggests on this!  At #8, here's Silversun Pickups...


********************************************

 

So after all the specials we've had going for the last little while, All I had was that and the ten...

 

Hmm... explains why you gave the obit on a one-hit wonder...

Shows what you know!  He was in the top 40 SIX times, and darn near made it again with a top 20 soul single in 1975 with the aforementioned Maurice White and the boys...

 

*******************************************

 

Ok, me an' my big mouth..

Did you ever chart with a duet?

Uh... not while I was alive... Colonel Parker prolly thought I was too big too give someone else a fair credit...

That, or he was too greedy...

Yeah, that too, I 'spect.

Okay, anyway, here's the rest of this week's ten:

10- Built To Spill gets one more week out of Fool's Gold, dropping 4...

9- Also dropping after a tour at the top is Rubblebucket's Morning In The Sun, down 5...

7- A 3-spot climb for Lucius and Love Is The Disaster...

6- Up 2 for Blondie and Mr Sightseer...

5- Holding is Tchotchke's You'll Remember Me...

4- Up three for Wilco and Hearts Hard To Find, a song I never thought would grow on me this much...

3- Holding, Brooke Annibale's Be Around....

2- Holding, Geowulf's Whirlwind...

And at #1 for a second week...



...Dent May and Crying Laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


See you next time, right?

 

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know who Ramsay Lewis was, so thanks for the introduction and RIP. ๐ŸŒน Sun Godess is pretty good! ๐Ÿ‘

    Elton's voice has diminished and Britney's was never that good, so I'm not surprised that didn't turn out well. ๐Ÿ˜† I should listen to it... Okay, I did - not my cup of tea. ๐Ÿ˜

    Silversun Pickups is new to me. Also not bad. ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not 'Alone on the hill' after all!

      Delete