What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, September 30, 2022

M10 show week #42

 


So this week, the M10- unofficially- sets a record that the Billboard charts can't touch!

Elvis:  I bet I can touch it...

No, but in a way you can touch the Billboard record... not beat it, but touch it!

Oh well, I ain't that Hammer guy, anywho!

So, just so we can do this whole thing, we're going to do the countdown in reverse- except for the new debut this week at #10.  With their third M10 hit, here's Pale Waves...



************************************************************* 

 

So I guess yer about ta tell us this week's numero uno, right?

Well, a little context first.  This new Blondie box set includes a lot of "lost tracks" that never made it on record- or, supposedly in this case, Debbie Harry and Chris Stein's bedroom!  Thus, what we might say is a 'new release' is actually considerably older.  Now, the Billboard record between #1s by one artist is 24 years, 355 days for Cher between Dark Lady and Believe.  Now, just for you, buddy, I did a little digging.  In the UK, you went - between 1978's Way Down and 2002's A Little More Action, 24 years and... 319 days.  So, close but not quite.

36 days?  Why, that's, uh, um, that's perty close.

Um, yes.  But now, here's where we slap a big huge asterix on everything.  Back in January of 1977, I got me a little pocket notebook and started doing my first top ten... an embryonic M10, if you will.  I don't have any of those notebooks, which I believe I kept until 1982 (AKA most of high school and into college).  But there was a song I know I had hit #1 back then; and judging from looking at the Cashbox charts of the time, I can say with 80% confidence that the unofficial M10 record for time between #1s stands as of this week at- 42 years and 188 days- for...


...Blondie- from 1980's Call Me to this week's new #1, Mr Sightseer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forty-two? Heck, I only LIVED ta 42!

And if that ain't enough, it was recorded in 1978, so it took 44 years to hit #1!  Not an M10 record, but...

NOT a record?

Well, Jack Wood's Born To Wander took 50 years and 3 months from recording till it hit our #1; and it was 51 years and 9 months between the Four Seasons' release of The 4 Seasons Sing Big Hits By Burt Bacharach... Hal David... Bob Dylan, and the song from that lp, Walk On By, hitting #1 here.  But, of course, that's because of the different rules here, and shouldn't be used in any reputable music discussion.

'Course me being on here kinda says that...

Indeed, well put!  So now that I have totally messed up the countdown, let's for fun do it a step further- this week's top ten, in order of Spotify listens!  Buddy, fire up the Spotify...

The whut?

That green button...

Ah.  Gotcha!

With 14,249 listens, our #9, down 5- Tchotchke and You'll Remember Me...

19,806- holding at 7, Brooke Annibale's Be Around...

88,293- Holding at 6, Geowulf and Whirlwind...

97,822- Up one to #3, Lucius and Love Is The Disaster...

113,958- Up 2, We The Kingdom and Mine...

115,013- Our former top dog, down to 2, Dent May and Crying Laughing...

256,609- Our new #1, Blondie's Mr Sightseer, up 1...

497,877- Up 3 to #5, Silversun Pickups and Alone On A Hill...

534,214- Our new Debut, Pale Waves and Clean at #10...

And with a list-topping 603,439- slipping one to #4, Wilco's Heart's Hard To Find! 


For perspective, Harry Styles' As It Was has 1,341,123,328 listens- over 570 TIMES our whole countdown combined!

Geez, Harry again.  He might as well be a Beatle!

 

Hey, there's an idea!  Next week the top Beatles songs on Spotify!

I hadda say that word, din't I....

1 comment: