What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, September 2, 2022

M10 show week 38

 

Well, it's Labor Day weekend, but by Martin rules, we'll have one more week of Songs of Summer competition...

Elvis:  Why's that?

Because, I always go to the M10 AFTER Labor Day in counting it.

Ah, gotcha.  What's for food tonight?

Fish, now can we get on with music?  Anyway, I thought I might take a quick look at Labor day #1s... but of course, I didn't do it yet, so why don't you cue up this week's lone debut whilst I look?

Sure.  I can't pernounce the name of these girls...

(Psst:  It's pronounced  CHOK-chee)

...an' I can barely spell it, but at #10, they is called Tchotchke...

 

 

*************************************************************

 

All right, so I'm done digging...

That was fast!  Lemmee see yer fingernails...

Don't be a bubblehead, not that kind of digging!  Anyway, I have a top ten list of Labor Day #1s, ranked by weeks at #1, ties broke by position on the year and chart du jour... And this is how it played out:

 

10- Elvis and Hound Dog from 1956...

Hey, right offa the bat!

Well, that's nice of you!  Usually you complain about not being #1!

Are there any Beatles ahead'a me?

No...

Then, I'm good!

9-  The Highwaymen and Michael, 1961...

Say, these are on the older side, aren't they?

Yeah, none of the 1970's LD #1s had more than 2 weeks at the top.  And only two of them!

8- The Browns, The Three Bells from 1959...

6 (still tied)- Chubby Checker, The Twist from 1960, and  Bobbie Gentry, Ode To Billy Joe from 1967...

5-

Hey, ain't ya gonna split the count an' stick in anuther video?

Um, what part of "lone debut" did you not comprehend?

Sorry, I think ah'm gettin' hangry...

Bet you miss the ol' Time Machine commissary... 

Right now ah do...

Anyway, #5 was the Stones and Honky Tonk Women from 1969.

4- the first of 2 6 week #1s (all the ones before had 4), the Four Seasons and Sherry...

3- Also at 6 weeks, Nel Blu Di Pinta Di Blu (Volare) by Dominigo Medugno from 1958...

The top two both 7-week #1s...

2- From 1955, Mitch Miller's Yellow Rose Of Texas...

And at #1...

Hey, least ya could do is save the top one for the end....

Quite right, ol' chum!  Give us this week's M10!

Sure!

9- 9 weeks fer Cannons and Bad Dream, down 5...

8- up 2 fer Wilco and Hearts Hard To Find...

7- Down four fer Built To Spill an' Spiderweb...

6- Down one for Harry Styles an' Late Night Talking...

5- Up 2 fer Brooke Annibale an' Be Around...

4- Up a quick 4 fer Geowulf an' Whirlwind...

3- Down from the tippy-top, Built To Spill an' Fool's Gold...

"Tippy top?"

Whut, ya never used "tippy top"? anyway, #2 an' up another quick 4 is Dent May an' Crying Laughing...

An the NEW Tippy-top song...

 

Photo credit David Oppenheimer

 

...Rubblebucket an' Morning In The Sun!

 

Okay, so you're satisfied now?

Is the grub here yet? 

'5-8 minutes'...

Close, son, close.

 

And the winner of our Labor Day #1 contest is...

 


 
...Debbie Reynolds and Tammy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Next week, the top ten Songs of Summer '22!

4 comments:

  1. Tchotchke has an interesting retro sound. I didn't know Tammy was such a big hit. I'm old enough to remember it, too. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I remember it only through my mom, it's always been one of my favorites. I'm glad I got Tchotchke in, the competition #11 to 15 has been brutal lately.

      Delete