What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, December 23, 2022

M10 show, week #53

 


So what'd you find for Christmas, Boss?

Well, I figured we'd have some fun with the Martin Era 2.0 songs that were at Cashbox's #1 on Christmas- but instead of a dry list, I thought maybe I could 'give awards' to the notable ones.

Awards?  Like what?

Well, like the songs that were number one on the charts released exactly on Christmas Day- 1965's Over And Over by the Dave Clark Five, 1971's Brand New Key by Melanie, and 1976's You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer.

They don't sound too Christmas-y...

Well, unlike the UK, where they compete for the Christmas #1, and here nowadays, where All I Want For Christmas Is You has been at #1 for 4 straight Christmases, it was just a matter of what hit on what week during the Martin Era.  The UK had 5 Christmas songs hit #1 in the ME 2.0; we had just one- Dave Seville and The Chipmunk Song.

Wow.  So tell me more, like, did I have a #1 at Christmas?

Not yet.  First, intro our one debut of the week...

Sure! This'n is from a new act called Cafuné, an' the lp came out in 2019, an' supposedly it was a rock chart #4 then, but Chris found it on the current alt chart a week or two ago- only he can't prove it, because the site he goes to has the Alt chart stuck showing the combination of December weeks put together- even though all their OTHER charts are working!  Anyways, here is Cafuné at #8 with Tek It...



**********************************************

 

All right, let's look at some more of my award winners...

Most Appropriate- The Chipmunk Song, Alvin and the Chipmunks

Least Appropriate- a tie between the Staple Singers' Let's Do It Again and Bill Justis' Raunchy

Most times on the list- again a tie with 2 each for Guy Mitchell (Singing The Blues, Heartaches By The Number) and the Monkees (I'm A Believer, Daydream Believer)

My Favorite- My Sweet Lord, George Harrison

My Least Favorite- You Make Me Feel Like Dancing, Leo Sayer

How many girls did it- just 3: Helen Reddy (Angie Baby), Melanie (Brand New Key), and the Singing Nun (Dominique)

Biggest hit- according to Billboard, I'm A Believer

First one in the Martin Era- Sixteen Tons, Tennessee Ernie Ford

Whut about me?

I saved that one for last!  Why don't you give us the rest of the M10, and I'll give out the rest afterwards?

Sure...

10- and holdin', Beyond The Vale, Smashing Pumpkins

9-  and holdin' , Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause

7- one last week for Broken Bells and Love On The Run- it'll finish #2 all time on the M10...

6- the next three all go up 2 spots, startin' with Smalltown Poets an' Christmas Time Again..

5- White Reaper with Pages...

4- an' Lucius with Muse.

3- Talk drops two from the top with Run Away To Mars

2 The Four Seasons stuck here with Sleeping Man

An' the new top dog...

 


 ...Joji an' Die For You!

 

Now, then...

All right, to answer our last two questions...

Wait, two? What's the other one?

Did Elvis have a Christmas #1? Yes, Are You Lonesome Tonight!

All right!  But whut's th...

And, did the Beatles have one?

Aw, who car...

Yes, I Feel Fine!

Tune in next time for the last show of the year- and maybe by then I'll have figured out how I'm gonna do the year-end countdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment