What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, February 3, 2023

M10 show week 57

 


So this week, things are finally turning around a bit on the M10- three new debuts, a new #1, and Billboard actually handicaps the Rock'N'Roll HOF nominees for this year!

Elvis:  I thought you din't like the HOF...

I don't, but BB handicapping the odds makes it a little bit more fun.  So I'm gonna add the odds of making my long-neglected HOF list... maybe even look into making up my own set of nominees!  But first...

I know, first debut, right?

What if I told you I had a guest coming on...

I'd tell ya I'm goin' shoppin'...

Relax, I'm kidding.  Go on with the first debut!

Okay, so Chris just heard this'n the other day- despite the fact it's from 2015, he's had a hit from this very same disc, an' it's the dude's biggest hit on Spotify!  At #10, here's Tame Impala... 

 

 


**************************************************

Thank you, sir!  Now onto this handicapping, here's what Billboard says...

The Spinners: 12-1.  Me:  Already in, so pretty even odds here, lol!

Iron Maiden: 10-1.  Seriously?  As I only know one song of theirs, you'd prolly have a safer bet on the next Powerball.

Joy Division, with their linked band New Order: 10:1.  Me: Don't know either one that well.  Heard a JD song today, can't say it moved me.  Better to lay money on McDonald's drive-thru getting your order right the first time.

Cyndi Lauper: 8-1.  Me: I would consider her a strong nominee.  Even money.

Warren Zevon: 5-1.  Surprises me he isn't already in; cult figures like him usually are the RNRHOF's bread and butter. Me:  I need more than Werewolves Of London, sorry.  100-1.

A Tribe Called Quest: 5-1.  Me: At least I have given them a couple chances to get on the shuffle, no luck for them yet.  85-1.

Rage Against The Machine: 4-1.  Me:  That's a good candidate for the official HOF.  Not so much for me, despite Tom Morrelo sniffing around the M10 with other acts.  50-1.

Missy Elliot: 3-1.  Me: Who? Oh, a rapper.  See "Iron Maiden".

Soundgarden: 3-1. Me: Definitely a solid nominee choice.  Even money.

George Michael: 2-1.  Me:  He's not in theirs YET?  I'll give him 50-1 just because he did manage to be heard on the radio.

Kate Bush: 3-2.  Me:  Even hitting the charts twice, Running Up That Hill ain't gonna do it here. 49-1 just because George Michael did Teacher.

Willie Nelson: 3-2.  Me: Again, a solid nominee.  They're doing half my work for me! I will also give the Red-Headed Stranger 3-2.

Sheryl Crow: Even Money.  Me:  Like Willie and some of the others, she should have been in already. 4-3.

The White Stripes:  Even money. Me:  Though I know the name, I even went to their discography and never saw a name I knew.  Get back up there with Zevon, guys.


***************************************

Well, Chris jus' nodded ta me, so I guess I'm playing debut #2.  This one is new stuff at #9 from a band we had on the M10 early on, gettin' ta #9 in one week at the end of the M10's first month!  They're already that far with this'n- they are the Arcs...

 

**********************************************************

 

This week, I go to 1992 to find the song I would not turn off the radio for any reason.  And not only is it the quickest find so far, sitting at #10 31 years ago this week, it is the ONLY one on the hot 100 that I would give that honor to!  In fact, I didn't even see any close but not quites; above them were 2 songs I knew- one I liked (U2's Mysterious Ways at #5), one so-so (Michael Jackson's Black Or White at #9).  Plus, though I know the original (of course), I can say I have never heard the combination of Elton John WITH George Michael on Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, which sat at their #1 on Cashbox this week.  It had long since been #1 on the Alt charts, pushed out of the way by the 9-week run for Mysterious Ways.  This week's song I wouldn't turn off goes to...

 


 ...Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Okay, bud, you want the last debut or the ten?

I gotcher debut... another oldie, it actually came out in 2019, but Chris just heard it a couple weeks back.  At #7, here's Lauren Daigle...

 

*************************************************** 

And the rest of the 10 this week...

At #8, I have Katy Nichole's Please for a second week.  And I just read a great article about her, which you can read here;  But for now, here's a section from the Christian Post, an article from Jeannie Ortega Law...

 Following surgery on her spine that resulted in prolonged bouts of pain and left her bedridden, Nichole suffered from depression. 

“I didn't see the hope; I couldn't find it,” she said, reflecting on her state of mind after the first surgery. "I had back surgery and I was in a lot of pain. After I had the surgery, I just saw no hope. I reached the place where I grabbed a bottle of pills. I  took it to the bathroom with me, and somehow, it fell out of my hands onto the floor and the pills spilled everywhere.”

"In that moment, I heard the Lord say to me, 'Hold on, I'm not done yet,'" she shared. 

 

And so He isn't!

6- Joji's former #1 Die For You slips 3 spots.

5- Wet Leg up 1 with Angelica.

4- Out of the top, Cafune and Tek It.

3- Up 2, the Heavy Heavy with Guinevere.

2- Also up 2, Maneskin with La Fine.

And our new #1 song this week...



credit Charlie Llewellin

...Morrissey with Rebels Without Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it for this week!  Next time, I'm going to put together a new Martin HOF inductee list!  You can see who's already in the MHOF from the page link back up there at the top.  I have 6 categories that I WAS putting one act each in, but haven't done so in a while.  Those Categories would be: Big Names (To which I will likely put Soundgarden), Top Men, Top Women (Cyndi Lauper will get this nod), Not So Rock-And-Roll (where I will add Willie), Personal Faves ( Where Soundgarden will go if I change my mind) Golden Oldies, and this time, I will catch up a brand new M10 stars category with SEVEN acts coming in!  As always, you are allowed to nominate acts, but i will ignore you I will likely take the decision upon my own broad shoulders.  See you then!

4 comments:

  1. Oh such great music that can make us feel so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good music here. Willie Nelson will always be a favorite. His son Lukas is a fantastic guitarist and his voice is like his father's voice. Cyndi Lauper and Sheryl Crow are part of our music listening life. The others you listed, chances are I have heard their music, but never paid attention to the group.
    Thanks for your comment about our mom. The hole seems to keep filling up with other losses.

    ReplyDelete