What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, February 10, 2023

M10 show week #58

 

I get the feeling that this is something we're going to be doing a lot of this year...


Burt Bacharach, who with Hal David, crafted many of our great hits of the 60's passed Wednesday at the age of 73.  When his partner Hal passed in September of 2012, Time Machine did a huge post which included the top 30 biggest hits they had- it's worth a look, go here to read it. I will add to this, the pair added a M10 #1 song since then, when the Four Seasons hit here in March 2017 with their cover of Walk On By. In honor of him, though, I am finally going to start correcting one thing I hadn't thought about before- I'm going to start a Writer's wing on my M10 Hall Of Fame, and He and Hal will be the first entrants as I share with you today, Class # 7 of the Martin Hall Of Fame.  And here to help me, to add a distinguished air to the proceedings...


Our old friend, Horace Bellbottom, fresh from... well, where ever he's been...

Glad that you thought of me, when the word 'distinguished' was involved.

Now we don't have as much space on the new show as we had back when, so be succinct in your presentations...

I have never been one to bloviate- and by the fact I hear no giggling or twittering, I take it Mr Presley is not here...

Like I said, cramped for space. So let me start out with our first of two debuts this week- and this has a HOF tie in, as Tom Morrello's Rage Against The Machine was one of the RNRHOF's nominees this time around.  Here he is, lending a hand to Maneskin, at #10...


 

***************************************************************

I must say, that...group... had a different idea of 'gossip' than I...

Well, they're Italian, so... Anyway, give us some of the MHOF list, whilst I roust up our other weekly special...

...or not... I see Cashbox has gotten their page suspended once again.  Let me see if the ... nope, Alaska Jim is no longer with us, either.  Okay, so we'll be doing our "Song I won't turn off the radio" from the Billboard charts, thanks to my friends at Top40Weekly dot com, who haven't been suspended as yet... and quite frankly, other than a couple 'almost but not quites', I don't even SEE a song this week in target year 1991 worthy of the title.  So let me just give an honorable mention to Damn Yankees and High Enough at 16 on its way down and Chris Isaak's Wicked Game on the way up at #17.  Okay, Horace, the floor is yours!

All right, then... You start with the "big name" category, which is mainly designated for groups and other assemblages, and being honored this year are Soundgarden, the alternative band (though what they are an alternative to I don't...)

Horace, tighten it up, please...

AHEM, very well.  The other new member in this category is Crosby Stills Nash and Young, appropriate after Mr Crosby's recent passing.

Then we have the "Top Men" list, to which we add two who might well have been put here earlier, David Bowie and Jim Croce.

Following are a trio for our "Top Women" list- the unusual Cyndi Lauper; sweet Brenda Lee; and the lovely Miss Connie Francis.

Chris: (Looks at imaginary wristwatch)

Next is a category ill-titled "Not So Rock'N'Roll", which is horrible grammar.  Country legend Willie Nelson, is here, along with, in a nod to the lovely Miss Laurie, Christian veteran Steven Curtis Chapman...

Boy, look at the time, I better play our other debut!  Coming in at #8, their second song on this week's chart, here's Cafune...

 

******************************************************* 

 

Okay, we're on the clock now, Horace...

Good heavens, man, I thought you wanted 'distinguished'?

Can you get "Distinguished in 10 words or less"?

Sigh... I shall try.  Our next category is called "Personal favorites", in an attempt to install those whose credentials might be a bit suspect.  However, the induction of Sheryl Crow to this wing rather defeats that simplistic...

HORACE!

Oh, yes, quite right. The Golden Oldies category is increased by the McGuire Sisters; the Writer's category has already been mentioned; and that leaves the other new category, M10 stars.  To catch up with the other categories in one shot, Chris has elected to, er, elect seven members into this wing:  Beach House, the Jayhawks, Lucius, Alvvays, Brooke Annibale, the Explorer's Club, and Dent May.

 

There, see?  You took out three categories in four lines of type, where the first 5 categories took you 15!

Well, when you start chopping the word 'distinguished ' down, letter by letter, until you are left with 'sting'...

Wow.  See, that's the kind of wit I brought you back for!  Anyway, I gotta make the rest of the M10 concise to a fault...

Maneskin made it a 10-9 twofer with La Fine dropping from two to 9...

Katy Nichole up one to 7 with Please...

Cafune's first hit falls from 4 to 6 with Tek It...

The Arcs blast their way from 9 to 5 with A Man Will Do Wrong...

Up 2 for Lauren Daigle's Look Up Child...

Rebels Without Applause, happy with its one week at the top, drops to 3 for Morrissey...

The Heavy Heavy up to 2 with Guinevere...

 

And the new #1 song...


 ...up from #5, it's Wet Leg and Angelica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Attorney Bellbottom for helping out this week!

Of course!  And might I mention that it took me 235 words to introduce 20 acts in the Hall of Fame, for an average of 11.75 words per act; while you used 97 words to introduce 8 songs, a 12.125 average.

Yeah, well I estimate me interrupting you twice cut 17 words off YOUR total, which would have put you at 12.6, so you are very welcome!

Curses!  I am undone!

 

4 comments: