What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, April 28, 2023

M10 show week #69

 

Well, I have to say a little more common sense has entered our rolling Rolling Stone list this week, after last week's big 'shake my head" moments.

Elvis: Am I up this week?

 Do you WANT to be in the 60's and 70's?

Well, no, but...

Then just be patient, and let me get on with things! Also, 3 more debuts, a 'song I wouldn't turn off' list from 1980, and Elvis whines about why we didn't start from the top!

Leastways I'd know I wuz #1 right off the bat!

You might be needing to refresh yourself on your song, "If I Can Dream", buddy!  Let's go to our first debut- a third single from Cafune at #10...


*********************************************** 

So, how's about me doing the rollin' countdown?

Sure, just let me remind everyone this is from Rolling Stone's 200 Greatest Singers Of All Time, published a few weeks back, giving the singers I actually know enough about to comment on- and remember, all these acts are AHEAD of Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, and Elton John...

Awright, now gimme that list...

77- Bruce Springsteen. I myself lost interest in him once he "went political", but even before, about the only time you ever heard him SING was maybe Point Blank.

So you vote no here. I guess RS can't figger whether they want 'singer' or 'influencer'.  Next...

76- Wilson Pickett. Hold the pitchforks, but I'm not a big fan.  Much like Jackie Wilson, they didn't give him 'singing' songs very often. I know Jackie had a good voice, I don't know about the Wicked One.

I know we already did Jackie, we'll just sliiiiide 'im back there...

74- Patti LaBelle. Any arguments there?

Nope, I'm good.

71- Roy Orbison. Now him, I would have top 20 anyway.

Yeah, I c'n see that.

70- Ronnie Spector.  I like this spot for Ronnie, it's just the ones that should have been higher up kind of taint the ones they get about right.

66- David Ruffin. I would have David AND brother Jimmy about 30 closer to the top.  Those were phenomenal voices. 

65- Minnie Ripperton. If not a little higher.  Anyone who has THAT big of range, I'm not questioning.

63- Robert Plant. He a friend of George Bush? Haw haw, see what I did there?

Really? Anyhow, I'm conflicted here.  The Led Zep frontman certainly had pipes, and could shift from mellow to power on a dime.  I guess I'm good here.

Well, we're all glad about that!

62- George Michael. Didn't we have Boy George last week? He's better than the Wham! voice, still though George COULD sing.  I guess I'm okay here.

An' last but not least this week...

60- Kate Bush. Hah, you missed your 'plant' joke here!  She's not a bad singer, but I wonder if she'd be on this list if Stranger Things hadn't brought back her song.

Okay, so now's the time for debut #2!  Form the Meteora redo, here's new Linkin Park at #8...

 

*********************************** 

 

I had a good mix of 'songs I'd never turn off' and 'almost but not quites' this week in 1980. As always, I made a list of ten, narrowed it to three, and then pick my top song I wouldn't turn off from the week.  And those three...

3rd was Dan Fogelberg's Heart Hotels at #32...

2nd was Bob Seger (with some help from the Eagles)  and Fire Lake at #6...

And my #1 song this week that I wouldn't turn off... at #59...



...Paul McCartney with Coming Up (Live from Glasgow)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anuther Beatle! Sheesh!

Oh, you hush!  Or actually, play the last debut!

Fine!  This'n Chris heard on the radio a few times lately, which shows ya how long it's been since we had a decent Alt station hereabouts.  This was a #2 Alt hit in 2019, an' the video's pretty fun too!  Here are The Wallows, featuring Clairo...

 

**********************************************

 

Man, I hope that big dude wasn't really Clairo!

He wasn't... Anyway, let me give what's left of the M10...

9- In week #9, Jason Isbell and Death Wish.

6- Stuck in place for Jelly Roll and Need A Favor.

5- Up two for Hootie and Fires Don't Start Themselves.

4- Up one for Caroline Rose and Everywhere I Go I Bring The Rain.

3- Out of the top spot for Manchester Orchestra and The Way...

2- Up one for Noah Kahan and Stick Season.

 

And taking over the top spot...

 


 ...Gorillaz et al with New Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


That's it from here!  Be good to each other!

4 comments: