What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, April 14, 2023

M10 show week #67

 

We have a lot on our plates this fine, sultry evening, with THREE debuts on the M10 and our current lot of features, so let's get right to it! I... yes?

Elvis:  Hey, I brought in som'un to help us speed things up... Go on ahead!


 
The Flash... you brought in the Flash...

E: G'wan, Barry, kick things off!

F: Sure!  Hey that first video was great! What's next?

How about playing it for the audience?

F:  Oh, yeah! At #10, here's a song Chris heard on the radio and loved, from last year, it's Jelly Roll!

 

************************************************** 

E: He'll get the hang of it soon! Now, maybe he can do the rollin' Rollin' Stone list!  Try this, hoss...

F:107LouReed106BillWithers105Eddie...

STOP! Wait!

F:Something wrong?

Yeah, like: Punctuation, a breath, my commentary...

F: Oh, you do like my "Flash Facts" as you go?

Um, yeah. So one at a time, with me putting in my bit, plus mentioning that except for skipping the first one (#108), we actually went straight down a number line for the first time.

F:  Okay, but you just mentioned that one, so...

You're the scientist, figure it out!

F: Gotcha.

107- Lou Reed.  The lead in on the RS article said, "Obviously, no one would consider Lou Reed’s singing virtuosic unto itself." Well put.  A guy who influenced the NYC punk scene that so influenced RS. Not by a long shot on my list.

106- Bill Withers. This is a top rung voice that should be in at least the top twenty.  

Flash fact: Did you know that on that song Ain't No Sunshine, all those "I knows" in the middle were because he forgot the line, and it was so cool they left it in?

Well, I did, anyway...

E: Ladies, this isn't exactly speedin' things up...

Right as rain, King!

105- Eddie Vedder. I'm kinda torn here... let's just say I'm good with the Pearl Jam frontman here, and move on.

Flash Fact:  Did you know...

IF you intend to tell that ridiculous story about the band's name and Eddie's Aunt, I'm calling Professor Zoom!

So noted!

104- Aaron Neville. A bit warbly for me, but without a doubt deserves the spot, if not a bit further on.

103- Leonard Cohen. Boy, could there be two more polar opposites? I'm good anywhere here on up.

102- Taylor Swift.  Probably her voice doesn't grate me near so much as her persona, but still wouldn't have had her this close to the top.

101- Gladys Knight. Top 25 for me. Nuff said.

100- Elton John. OMG, really?  At LEAST top 15.  What were these guys smoking?

99- Clyde Mc Phatter.  Nothing against the former Drifter, but I'd back him back.

Lastly,

98- Bob Marley. Well, that takes care of the smoking question.  I love Bob, but I'd back him up as well.

F: Okay now we gotta get to the second debut, Coming in at #8 is new stuff from Darius Rucker Hit it!!!

 

 

******************************************************** 

F: Better?

Slightly.  I'm not sure this show is quite your calling.  Anyway, time for "The song I won't turn off" for this week in 1982.  There was a ton of almost but not quites near the top, but I eventually found 9 songs that met the requirements, and out of them I pulled my top 3.  They would be...

3- Willie Nelson, Always On My Mind at #44...

F: Flash Fact: from the movie Honeysuckle Rose...

E: Y'know, man, I ain't sure you ain't havin' the opposite effect I was intendin'...

2- Human League, Don't You Want Me at #36...

And this week's song I'd never turn off is...

...Tommy Tutone and 867-5309 (Jenny)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flash Fact: That song was at #21 this week in 1982!

Nice save! And now...


 

*******************************************************

F: Now, how was THAT?

E: Man, ya gotta let him say, "At #7, here's our ol' friend Caroline Rose with, Everywhere I Go I Bring The Rain"...

F: Oh, crap!  Sorry!

E: Now, let me show ya how we do things here.. AHEM...

Now, fer the remaining M10...

9- Fall Out Boy falls out ta #9, down 4 with Love From The Other Side...

6- Down 3 fer Imagine Dragons an' Follow You...

5- Down one fer Tennis and Forbidden Doors...

4- Up three fer Noah Kahan an' Stick Season....

3- Up three fer Gorillaz and friends with New Gold...

2- Dropping from the top, Jason Isbell and the gang with Death Wish...

Now here, y'all try #1....


 F: UponeforManchesterOrchestraandTheWaysorrytheyneedmeinCentralCitygottagoitsbeenablastbye!

E: Dadgumit! Lookit the burn marks he left in the floor! 

6 comments:

  1. thecontemplativecat here. You posted some great performers and songs. Willie Nelson will always be #1 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what I've seen from Gorillaz. They have some interesting videos with cool concepts.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, my knowledge of them only extends to this song (which I was drawn to by Tame Impala) and the preceding single, Cracker Island... I played that one for my son and he said, "Sounds like someone trying to be Gorillaz", so I guess it was pretty typical, lol!

      Delete