What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, April 7, 2023

M10 show week #66

 

Well, the first week of April gives us NO new debuts- although there is a BIG line forming- So let's get right on our two features- 


Hey, slow down, amigo!  Are ya like, late fer somethin'?

Yeah, dinner- and there's no affording doordash this week, so I gotta get to this!

That's yer Karma, gettin' ya back fer stiffin' me the other week...

Whatever, dude! All I know is, my sugar was 91 after walking Misty, without my nighttime pill, so I'm expecting Excedrin Headache Sugar any moment now!

Still ain't takin' yer insulin, are ya?

Don't need it!  It's all in how I'm being disciplined, and as I've not had non sugar-free chocolate (outside of one Three Musketeers bar I got for doing something fabulous at work) since a month ago (almost), I think a non-medicated 91 is pretty good!

I wuz never afraid of medicine...

And look where it got you!  Anywho, since we don't have videos for you to intro, how about YOU start off the rolling Rolling Stone Top Singers Of All Time for this week?

Okay... lemme see how this "bold print" thing works... got it!

122- Donna Summer. Her I like!

Very insightful! Despite the disco, she had a tremendous voice, and I'd probably put her closer to #1.

121- Jackie Wilson.  He's at least from my time...

Yeah, and more than that, huh?

Whaddya mean?

Well, here's from the RS story...

“Jackie Wilson was key in helping bridge the gap between an old-style R&B and a new incarnation of soul,” said J. Geils Band frontman Peter Wolf. “Even Elvis Presley knew why Wilson was called ‘Mr. Excitement’: I heard that seeing Wilson perform made the King want to hide under the table.” —A.G.

WHUT??? The only ones ever made ME wanna hide unner a table are my Ma and Tom Parker!

120- Charlie Rich.  Whut a smooth singer...

Yep, I don't know I'd have him here, though.

118- John Fogerty. He's that Creedy... Clearly... that Revival guy.  Din't sound much like a preacher, though.

That's Creedence Clearwater Revival, Mushmouth. And based on the word "singer", I'd have had him back a ways too.

117- Patti Smith. Um, her I don' know.

She was big in the mid seventies NYC punk scene.  Had a big hit with Springsteen's Because The Night, but who didn't have a Springsteen cover in their arsenal back then? Passable singer, I certainly wouldn't have had her in a list of mine.

114- Crissie Hynde.  Umm...

Boy, you are sure winning over the ladies!  She's the voice of the Pretenders, and definitely deserving of the spot.

Okay, so what's her hits during my time/after my time ratio? I can't know all the stuff that happened after I... you know...

Quite correct, and for the record, that ratio would be 100% after your time, so to speak.

112- Ozzy Osbourne? Seriously?

You had to know RS would have him in.  And to be fair, his actual singing voice is a bit underrated. I might have him farther back, though.

111- Fiona Apple.  Here we go again...

Not a bad singer by any means, but with only a single top 30 in her repertoire, I have to think twice here.

110- The Weeknd.  Who the heck is that?

Modern hip-hoppy stuff.  I've heard him a couple times. Not terrible, not what I would call top 200 material.

An' Finally- thank God...

109- Roger Daltry.  Name sounds familiar...

He sang for the Who.

How do I know?  Who did he sing for?

Exactly, he sang for the Who. Are we really gonna do Abbott and Costello?

Well, yer close to Bud's build than I am, so...

ANYway, I think we have to refer back to what is a singer, and even if I go back to songs like I Can See For Miles, Happy Jack, and Can't Explain, I can't put him this close to the top.

Are we about ready to hit me?

Heck, I thought that Rolling Stone quote hit you pretty good.   Moving right along, let me take us to 1983, to find which song I wouldn't turn off this week.

"That's the year WE made it big! I love it when a plan comes together!"

  So, who are they?

That's the A-Team- a show I didn't turn off...

So, who are they?

MR T: Shut up, fool! Gimme that Microphone!  Now you all listen here!  Chris made a list of ten songs he wouldn't turn off from this week in 1983!  Then he picked his top three, and a winner from them! You got a problem with that?

I think I can safely say we, none of us, have a problem, sir!

MT: Hey, you don't call me "Sir"!  That's what you call Hannibal!

EP: So whut do we call YOU?

MT:  YOU don't call me NOTHIN', fool!

All right, before this gets out of hand, let me just say...

...#3 on my list would have been this week's #22, Joe Jackson's Breaking Us In Two...

....#2 would be Golden Earring at #18 with Twilight Zone...

...and by a whisker, my top song I wouldn't turn off this week in '83 would be...


  ... the week's #13- After The Fire and Der Kommissar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

With that, King, please share the M10 this week!

Is Fort Knox with a Mohawk gone?

Yeah, it's safe, fraidy cat...

Okay, here we go...

10- one last week- their 8th- for Cafune and Reconsider, down 3.

9- Down 3, Geowulf an' Lovestruck.

8- Down a whopping 6, Two Door Cinema Club an' Everybody's Cool.

7- Up two, Noah Kahan's Stick Season.

6- Up 4, Gorillaz an' their amazin' friends with New Gold.

5- Holdin' fer Fall Out Boy and Love From The Other Side...

4- Another 8-weeker, Tennis an' Forbidden Doors down one.

3- Imagine Dragons back up 1 with Follow You.

2- an' up 6 for Manchester Orchestra an' The Way...

Which, no surprise, leaves at the top...

 

 


 

 ...Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit an' Death Wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it fer this week!  Chris is lookin' a bit shaky, so show yerselves out whilst I round him up some Balogna Casserole.. Chris? CHRIS! Now where'd that boy get off to? 


1 comment: