What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, August 4, 2023

M10 show week #81

 

 

Tonight I'm doing things a little different, because I have a BUNCH of stuff to combine into a little tiny space!  First off, I wanted to do something involving the late Randy Meisner of the Eagles and Poco.  If you have looked into his story at all, you know it was a simple man with a tragic life.  But I decided the one thing I wanted to share was perhaps his oddest combination.  In 1985, he formed a band called Black Tie.  The other two original members were Jimmy Griffin, once of Bread, and Billy Swan who had the crossover hit I Can Help, the world's best roller skating tune.  Griffin left after one record, and was replaced by Charlie Rich's son and bandleader, Charlie Jr.  That's some odd connecting!

Anyway, we have three debuts, and a couple of really long falls.  The first of the newbies is brand new Cafune at #10...

 


************************************************* 

Then I'd like to get in our usual "Song I Won't Turn Off"/where it charted in Australia and Canada feature.  We are in 1968, when the US and Canada shared a #1- and a song that I almost put on my SIWTO list- Gary Puckett and the Union Gap's Lady Willpower (which peaked at #4 in Australia), while our friends Down Under were grooving to a 2-sided #1 by the Irish Rovers: The Orange And The Green/Whiskey On A Sunday- the second of which snuck in to the US chart at #75.  I ended up with an 8-song list this week, and my top three were...

3rd, Herb Alpert's This Guy's In Love With You, #3 on this week's Cashbox chart, and a #1 on all three lists...

2nd, The Moody Blues with Tuesday Afternoon, #51 this week in '68, and a Canadian #12 peak.

And my top song I won't turn off...


 ...Merrilee Rush and the Turnabouts with Angel Of The Morning, which topped both of the other charts, but only 7 here- at #20 this week!


Next debut at #9 is new stuff by Mikaela Davis, with her new backing band, Southern Star...


************************************************************** 

 

And that brings us to a new list I found- and then modified.  BestClassicBands put up their 13 top Rock organists, and it was a good list, but I wanted to spice it up some more.  So I found something that had about 20 more names, and made my own top 10.  As the man at BCB said, this is highly subjective, and you can pick your own and let me know, if you like!  Anyway, my annotated top 10... well, lest I get in trouble, I better make it 12...

12- Goldie McJohn, Steppenwolf.  See what I mean?

11- Tony Banks, Genesis.  Just play Duke once.  By the way, both of these two were from the 'extras' list...

10- Ray Mazarek, the Doors.  I wasn't a Morrison fan, but the band was tight.  #4 on BCB list.

9- Tony Kaye, Yes.  He was the man of the hour on Owner Of A Lonely Heart.

8- Jon Lord, Deep Purple.  This one's a given.  #11 on the BCB list.

7- Alan Price, Animals.  House of the Rising Sun, people! How BCB missed him I don't grasp.

6- Rod Argent.  Zombies as well as his own band. #13 on the BCB list.

5- Keith Emerson, Emerson Lake and Palmer. From the Beginning, anyone? #6 on the BCB list.

4- Stevie Winwood.  BCB's #1.

3- Booker T, of the MGs. We both had him at #3.

2- Rick Wakeman, Yes.  I'll be the roundabout... #9 on BCB.

1-  



 ...Billy Preston.  No fricking doubt!!! #8 on BCB.

The names BCB had and I left off included: Garth Hudson of The Band at #2; Greg Allman at #5; Al Kooper (Think Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone) at #7; Ian McLaglan of Small Faces (Itchykoo Park) at #10; and Steve Nieve, who played for Elvis Costello, at #12.

And now, one more debut at #8- once again, the Guess Who...


************************************************ 

 

Now you may remember me saying I'm actually doing a top 15 for the moment, as I have a lot of good songs coming up, and some others that won't. Let. Go.  And for these three to come up, two songs had to fall HARD.  Bakar's Alive! fell from 5 to 13, Gaslight Anthem's Positive Charge from 3 to 14.  That second one might be an all time dropper, but since I just started the 15, who knows?  Anyway, here's the top ten's remaining members...

7- Bethany Cosentino's It's Fine, dropping one spot after 10 weeks now- a run that sees it at the #3-5 range on the all time summer songs...

6- Jason Aldean with Try That In A Small Town- it soared to Billboard's #1 this week (the first time BB ever had 3 country songs at the top 3 of the pop chart), and is up 4 here.

5- Buck Meek's Haunted Mountain, up 3.

4- Also up 3, Noah Kahan's Dial Drunk.

3- Slipping just one in week #7, Bakar's Hell N Back- now in the all time summer list's 12-15 range.

2- Last week's record setting #1, Saint Asonia's Devastate, sitting in the summer all-time #7 slot.

And the new number one...

 


 M.A.G.S. with Destroyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew, I'm panting now!  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Good music that's new to me as they rang no bells in my head but still I liked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you remember the Irish Rovers songs? I listened last night for the first time and laughed my butt off!

      Delete