What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, March 15, 2019

Time Machine co-ordinates VILXXXV53231560



Today we arrive in March 15th, 1960, where we stop in at Orangeburg, SC.

March 15, 1960, was a raw, wintry day, but determined students from Claflin and S.C. State colleges, their number estimated to be a thousand strong, began marching from Claflin toward the Orangeburg town square – protesting the indignity of a system that still divided society into “colored” and “white” at doctors’ and dentists’ offices, at hospitals and even water fountains.

The students faced arrest and the city fire department’s powerful water hoses as they protested being denied basic human rights, including the right to sit down at local lunch counters and buy a cup of coffee. But long before they reached the town square, police ordered them to disband or be sprayed with hoses in the chilly March air.

Following the police warning, many students dropped out one by one, but many continued the march, including James E. Clyburn, now South Carolina’s 6th District congressman and U.S. House majority whip. At the time, Clyburn was a student at S.C. State and one of seven students who organized the march/sit-in.

“It was rather an eventful day,” Clyburn said.


Now here's the thing:  While I found the item in 'events' in Wiki's 1960 events post, there was little mention (read 'none') of it on most of my attempts to Google it- though there was a LOT of mention of the far more serious event in Orangeburg in 1968, where 3 students were killed and dozens injured.  Makes me think that IF we had put more emphasis on the "peaceful protest" of 1960, the deadly 1968 "massacre" might not have happened.  How 'bout it, Google?


********************************************************

And with that, we open this episode of Time Machine, which includes an old-fashioned butt-whuppin' in the Panel Picks, not one, not two, but THREE M10 debuts, and Frankie Avalon guest starri... Nardole?  Problem?

Er, well... I believe I misunderstood the POTM directions...

Again?  Do we have a guest?  Frankie Avalon...

No...

Anybody?

Well, unless you want King Arthur....

Geez... okay, no guest, but I have an eye-popping 6D, coming up in mere moments!


*************************************************

Debut #1 came up from digging around and finding a gem on an older lp.  From 2011's No Time For Dreaming, at #10 I give you the late Charles Bradley...





******************************************


So I guess the Panel list is all mine...what is it, Nardole?

Well, since I hashed it up... I thought maybe I could try to make up by doing the lists.

Hmmm... what say you, Scrappy?




Yeah, you're probably right, but he just looks so pathetic...



Okay, Nardole, it's all yours... here's the one-vote-wonder list.

Thank you, sir, I shan't let you down.  At #13, Brenda Lee sang Sweet Nothings... wait, she sang nothing?

Not quite... move on.

Then we have a song Chris swears he knows from somewhere, though he's not sure where... Earl Grant was, well, nowhere yet with his single House Of Bamboo, which would debut next week at #106.

We had 12 candidates from 32 stations, and 5 of the 12 missed the top 40 this week!  Another of those was Johnny Horton's Sink The Bismark at #55.

Another one that bubbled under this week was Ron Holden's Love You So at #109.

Johnny Ferguson's Angela Jones was at #59; The Brothers Four were at #65 with Greenfields; and the only one hit wonder in the top 40 was Pat "the Leather Man" Boone with Welcome New Lovers at #30.

Not bad, N... that means everyone else is in the Final list!  Ready?

Certainly!  Your choices are Paul Anka's Puppy Love at #10...

Percy Faith's Theme From A Summer Place at #1...

Connie Francis with a b-side called Teddy at #40 (the A-side, Mama, was without a vote at #25)...

Jim Reeves with a previous winner, He'll Have To Go, at #2...

And Bobby Rydell's Wild One at #4!

Very well done, Nobhead!  Make your choices and come back in a bit... I mean, just keep 'em under your hat until we get to the end!  I don't want you leaving quite yet!


**************************************************

Debut #2 is a comeback hit for a big alt band.  An act which had an impact on the early M10 when one member had his side deal, the Arcs, hit with Flower In Your Pocket.  The first new music in 5 years by the Black Keys comes in at #9...









*********************************************

I have another little studio guy 6D- except it's not so little.  Our 6D victim was Jimmy Jones' original recording of Handy Man, which was #3 this week.  A lot of people know it better by it's most successful cover, by James Taylor from 1977.  That version had a famous chorus of ladies in the background- Carly Simon and Linda Ronstadt- plus a name I didn't know- Leah Cohen Kunkel.  Leah was the sister of Mama Cass Elliot, and was married to one Russ Kunkel.

Russ was a studio drummer and producer, and on a week in which HOF drummer and Wrecking Crew alum Hal Blaine passed away....

Hal Blaine 1929-2019

...We hit a great story on another great drummer.  The lps he played on make an awesome list, and just the songs I am SURE he played on I was stunned at.  For your entertainment, here are JUST the songs I could prove Russ played on, bottom to top by how much I like 'em...


20- Warren Zevon, Werewolves Of London (#21, 1978)
19- Bob Seger, Like A Rock (#12, 1986)
18- Jimmy Buffett, Volcano (#66, 1979)
17- Bob Seger, Shame On The Moon (#2, 1982)
16- Karla Bonoff, Personally (#19, 1982)
15- Stephen Bishop, Save It For A Rainy Day (#22, 1976)
14- Bob Seger, Even Now (#12, 1983)
13- Dan Fogelberg, Hard To Say (#7, 1981)
12- Harry Chapin, Taxi (#24, 1976)
11- Stevie Nicks, Stand Back (#5, 1983)
10- Stevie Nicks, If Anyone Falls (#14, 1983)
9- Crosby Stills and Nash, Wasted On The Way (#9, 1982)
8- Bob Seger, Roll Me Away (#27, 1983)
7- Bill Withers, Lovely Day (#30, 1977)
6- James Taylor, You've Got A Friend (#1, 1971)
5- Jackson Browne, Doctor My Eyes (#8, 1976)
4- Linda Ronstadt, Hurts So Bad (#8, 1980)
3- Dan Fogelberg, Heart Hotels (#21, 1980)
2- James Taylor, Fire And Rain (#3, 1970)
 and my favorite Russ Kunkel tune...




1- Linda Ronstadt, Heat Wave (#5, 1975)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


***************************************************

That was some drumming!  Now, let's have our high debut at # 7- another force in the early M10, from their latest, The Black Album, here is Weezer...






*************************************

And the stat pack...


I knew 19 on the Hot 100, and 11 on the Brit 50.

Our #60 in '60 is Marv Johnson's I Love The Way You Love.  Johnson's claim to fame was singing the first single for Tamla Records, Come To Me.  I Love The Way You Love hit the top ten, while Come To Me was top 30.


I almost couldn't find the #101 because I got the dude's name wrong.  His name was Billy Bland, and he was at the top of bubbling under with his eventual top ten Let The Little Girl Dance.  Funny thing was, I tried to search Bobby Bland- and Bobby Bland was at #100 with I'll Take Care Of You, a Brook Benton comp which hit #89.


The big mover was way late in the mix- a 27-spot climb from 100 to 73 for Johnny Mathis with Starbright.  It would peak at #25.


The UK's contribution  for this week was Adam Faith's Poor Me- which after I listened to it, I told Laurie the only reason he didn't chart here is he didn't TRY.  Very good song.  Also, the UK list included Panelists Theme From A Summer Place at #16 and Wild One at #38.


********************************************


And just like that, we're down to the M10 list:

Santana drops 4 to #8 with In Search Of Mona Lisa.

In week #9, Liz Cooper's Outer Space pulls into 7th all time... as well as dropping from 2 to #6.

Pure Bathing Culture moves up 1 to #5 with Devotion.

The Japanese House slides up 3 to #4 with You Seemed So Happy.

Anna Burch, already starting heavy lobbying to move up next week, pulls up 2 to #3 with St. Adalbert.

Moving into the runner up spot is the late Leonard Cohen (Any more dead people this week and it will be a ghost story!) and You Want It Darker.

And the winnah and still champeeen...





The Dig with You're Not Alone, for a third week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And the winner on the Panel Picks, with a whopping 43.75 % of the vote...




Percy Faith with A Summer Place, with it's third of 8 weeks at the top on Cashbox, and 4th of 9 on Billboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Well, I'm not sure if we'll end up with Percy Faith, Sir Percy of Scandia, or Jesus Christ as our guest next week (Actually, pretty sure I won't be pushing blasphemy so take out Our Lord), but I do know, God willing, it will be in 1961!

7 comments:

  1. Every time I ready about the early struggles involving race in the US, I have to ask how in the world was there that many people that were willing to just go with the flow? It boggles the mind and makes me question a whole lot of what we do as a society.

    Fortunately, I can count on nothing about the news being accurate now...so there's that.

    (Sorry I've been an infrequent poster, Chris, but I do appreciate you stopping by and I'll try to do better!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned in the last few months a lot of "race relation" things I wish I'd never had to learn. History never taught, and they frankly stun me that we even called ourselves human and did them. Don't worry, stop by when you can!

      Delete
  2. Chris:
    ---That Orangeburg story as the way things went back then, But could have never took place had the EISENHOWER admin been allowed t6o pass their CIFVIL RIGHTS bill (which was pretty much the same as the one passed over a decade later).
    Google likes to "cherry pick it's history, no doubt.
    ---"King Arthur"...well, that would be something to have HIM do the list...HA!
    (nice one, Nardole).
    ---Charles Bradly...good song reminding me of the 70s. I like it.
    ---The Black Keys - I very much like this tune. Didn't know anyone still used a "fuzz bx" on their guitar. Nice.
    ---NEVER heard of Russ Kunkel (but I have now).
    Man, we did played the skins on a LOT of great songs!
    ---Weezer - not a bad song. I might call it a keeper.
    ---I always knew him as Bobby "BLUE Bland"...(good artist, too)
    ---Good to see Anna and Liz moving up, along with The Japanese house.
    The dig at #1 for THREE weeks? Wow!
    ---Yes, I NAILED the panel pick.
    That was a close call. I almost went w/ Jim Reeves, But Percy Faith and his "Theme From a Summer Plac" was aired SO much (bask in the day), I will never forget it. And, it's a very fine orchestral number.
    Thank you, Max Steiner (who did some outstanding work on movies)

    A Very good ride again this week.
    Keep those hit comin' up there, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jim Reeves had his moment in the past as POTM (frankly, I thought Faith did too, but was mistaken), so it's good to shake things up. Especially when you're looking at a 9-week-long target...

      Delete
  3. You make a great point about Google.
    But...sigh...if it bleeds, it leads.
    This makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I shouldn't have blamed Google per se... they just show what newspapers printed back then...

      Delete