What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Sunday Message: Me and Job






This week, I found that Job and I are alike in one respect.  No, I am nowhere near Job's piety, and I have great doubts God would tell Satan, "Have you observed my servant Job?  There is none on earth like him, blameless and upright."  But in considering myself and my reactions, as the 'old man' fights the 'new man' on contentment issues, I see we had one similar flaw.

Throughout the Book of Job, Job protests that he had not sinned, almost challenging God to send 'an advocate' down to argue it out in court.  But at the end, he sees God and changes his tune, humbling himself in dust and ashes.  What changed?  Just one thought process, and it's the same one I found in myself.

Without the gory details, I came to a point where I said, "I've pleaded for help, as You have asked.  I have realized I cannot do it without you.  Why am I not getting that peace?"

And then, I realized the little implied sentence I was leaving out, which fit neatly between, 'without You' and 'Why am I'.  "BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO".

I shouldn't HAVE to.  It should be automatic, kicking in at the first sign of any trial or temptation, protecting me from sliding back into those same old thought patterns.  Job was saying the same thing- "I shouldn't HAVE to be going through all this."  A nicely hidden little thread of pride that simulates building a spiritual wall of concrete without rebar.  It always crumbles and you can't see why from the outside.

And the answer from God is one and the same.  "I am God, you are not.  Should you question Me?"  And it's just a statement- albeit a strongly worded one- because as soon as Job realized it, he repented and was COMPLETELY restored.

It always seems to come back to pride.  What a devious enemy we have!  I'd like to tell you I'm back on track, but that's going to take a further attitude change I haven't yet mastered- remembering that, while the fight is everyday, the victory is already won.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for another bloody great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so means so much! When God told Job what He has, does now, and in the future it is breathtaking. When I read that, it was humbling.

    Great to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a rich book for those who take the time and prayer...

      Delete