What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 10, 2024

M10 Show week #119

 


On the bright side, we shouldn't hear any food complaints out of you tonight...



No doubt, boss!  That McAllister's Deli makes a BIIIIG baked tater....



Yes, they do!  And the bad thing is, will I be able to get any work out of you now, when we have THREE new debuts to play...


Yeah buddy!  Here's one at #9, a second trip in fer The War And Treaty...


**************************************************

Woo baby, they had some a' those McAllister spuds ever' now an' then!

That was not nice- possibly accurate, but not nice!  So we are at target year 1978, and looking at this week's chart, I can tell you two things... what played here didn't exactly match what was on the charts, and I was about 2 weeks out from three "wonderful" weeks in Florida watching my Dad try his best to make a fool of my brother in law... 

Not fun?

Well, without oversharing, there were two local stations for music.  One station required that the song had to be a gold record, or nearing same; the other was all you, all the time!

ALL me?  Couldn'a been too bad...

You want to listen to NOTHING but yourself?

Well, not me so much... but I bet a lot of others do!

Apparently.  So this week's #1 in the USA and Canada was Yvonne Elliman's If I Can't Have You, a song that would peak #9 in Australia.  They had their own Brothers Gibb comp at the top- Stayin' Alive, which had already run its course in North America, in it's 4th of 7 weeks at the top.  Anyway, dude, why don... HEY!!! Button your pants back up!

Aw c'mon, I'm stuffed an' it ain't like we're on video, so...

I may have to borrow Roy Orbison's glasses!  Just do the next debut...

Gots it!  #8 is Dent May....


********************************************************

So my top 5 has one song at least we all agree on, more or less!  This week in 1978, I would have had...

5- Robert Palmer, Every Kinda People.  His first hit here, he was at 31 on his way to 16 here, 12 in Canada, and a tip of the hat at 82 in Australia.

4- Love Is Like Oxygen, Sweet.  This song and the next one remind me that I was spending most nights listening to WLAC-AM out of Nashville.  #21 this week, we all had it finish the same way- 8 in the US and Canada, 9 in Australia.

3- Deacon Blues, Steely Dan.  Both of these I first heard on that I-can-only-get-it-at-night station.  26 this week, it would make 17 here and 14 up north.  Nary a peep in Australia, though.

2- This Time I'm In It For Love, Player.  This is what really cheesed me about going to Florida.  a ton of songs I like- ESPECIALLY notably this one- I didn't get to hear for 3 weeks, and when I got back, they weren't playing any more.  This was at 16, and would probably be my #1 next week.  Peaked 10 here, 12 in Canada.

And the #1....

Hey wait, lemme play the last debut, build up the suspense... At #7, this is the Purple Disco Machine!


*******************************************************

Ah'm not exactly "stuck" on that video... see whut Ah did there...

Unfortunately, yes.  So anyway, my top dog this week would have been...


...Andy Gibb and Shadow Dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was on the way up at 8 this week, and would be a #1 in North America, #11 in Australia, who really didn't like the Bee Gees as much as I would have thought...


An, lemme pick up the top 10, what's left, okay?

You're a ball of fire tonight!

Yeah, well, ah gotta hurry 'cause that spud's makin' a bud...

TMI, by the way...

10- Amira Elfeky down 1 with Secrets...
6- Lorde up 2 with Take Me To The River...
5- Up two for LSD and Good Together...
4- an' holdin' fer Real Estate an' Somebody New...
3- Slippin' one fer Bethany an' Bob Jr with Always (All The Time)...
2- back in the runner-up slot, Kacey Musgraves an' Cardinal...

An' four weeks at the top fer...


....Shannon and the Clams an' Real Or Magic!!!!!!

Now, scuse me, but I gotta go... oh no....


John Lennon:  That's right mate, it's me, an' I got the key to the loo, I'm afraid!  I wanted to have a word about Bologna Casserole....

Elvis:  OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......

2 comments:

  1. All three clips were new to me and although not bad songs, they didn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one ever said my tastes were mainline, lol

      Delete