What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, November 11, 2022

M10 show week #48

 

So, King, how was your vacation last week?



Elvis:  I dunno, man... kinda dead...

Speaking of which, we lost another Hall of Famer this week in Alabama lead guitarist Jeff Cook.  The country megagroup logged 33 #1s on that chart- and a good couple dozen I am very familiar with.  So I thought...

Uh-oh... here comes a contest, I'll bet...

Well, first I wondered how many bands there have been that had JUST the name of a state as their name, and Ranker came through with Alabama, Kansas... and in third place, Boston.

Um, that's a city...

I know, but I can't throw stones, because when I searched my mind, the first things that came up were Chicago (a city) and New England ( a region).  So throwing my hands up,  I thought, "We might as well do a "Spotify streaming challenge" here- despite the fact that I noticed last time, these lists are NOT in pageview order!  I guess they're still fun, and that's the name of the game!  But first, we have 2 new debuts- both of them off the alt station we've been tuning into here!  The first at #10 is currently at the #4 slot on Radiowavemonitor dot com- and I use that because, as you know, Billboard wants money and I'm cheap.  If I got this story straight, this song got put out there by some social media means and became a sensation on TikTok.  Somebody eventually told the band, who then signed up for TikTok (which they knew little about), and sure enough, there it was!  This is Beach Weather...


*************************************************

 (In case the copyright thing- this was Beach Weather with Sex Drugs Etc.)

Good message there... more ta life!

I thought so!  So let me hurry up and get the stream data and do this contest...

Slowpoke, ya shoulda had this done a'ready!

Yeah yeah, but here's the thing- if we go by the Spotify list, it ends up Kansas 10-0 because Spotify had NONE of the 'Bama songs that made the Hot 100 on their list!  So we are going to do their biggest pop chart hits against each other, and see how that comes out. Also, we're gonna have some fun with the scoring- double the regular points, so 10-40 get you 2 points, and below top 40 still gets ya one!  That said, here we go!

10-  Alabama, How Do You Fall In Love, at #82; Kansas, Lonely Wind (live) at #60, so 1-1.

9- A) Lady Down On Love, at #76; K) Fight Fire With Fire at #58, so 2-2.

8- A) When We Make Love, #72; K) Reason To Be, #52, so 3-3.

7- A) Keepin' Up at #69; K) Hold On, a #40 that deserved far better, so 4-5.

6- A) Close Enough To Perfect, #65; K) Point Of Know Return at #28, so 5-6.

Hm... not alot of diff'rence so far...

No, and what really bites is the top songs that didn't make the cutoff were my favorites for each band- Alabama's Mountain Music at #101, and Kansas's Portrait (He Knew) at #64!  As for the Spotify lists, we've hit NONE of their Alabama choices, and for Kansas, Hold On (8) and Point Of Know Return (4).  But right now...

Order food!

Okay, okay, and here's the second debut at #8.  The guy dresses funny, but I love this song- and it might be the only thing on my chart that can prevent another "Iron Ceiling" from forming!  He calls himself Talk- and he's at #10 on the alt charts this week...



***************************************************************

(Again, this is Talk with Run Away To Mars)

Talk says this was an "awake at 3 AM and feeling very lonely" song, and it works great for that!  And back to the contest we go...

5- Alabama (and I'm just waiting for my dumb butt to mis-spell this!), The Closer You Get at #38; Kansas, People Of The South Wind at 23, so 7-8.

4- A)  God Must Have Spent A Little More Time With You at #29; K) All I Wanted, #19, so 9-10.

3- A) Feels So Right, #20; K) Play The Game Tonight, #17, so 11-12.

2- A) Take Me Down, #18; K) Carry On Wayward Son, #11 so 13-14.


And now... here's Elvis with the M10!

9- Up one spot fer Melody's Echo Chamber an' Norfolk Hotel...

7- Up 2 fer the Scorps an' Hammersmith...

6- Back up a spot to 6 fer Built To Spill an' Comes A Day...

An' the top five hold their places...

5- Alvvays an' Belinda Says...

4- Alvvays again with After The Earthquake...

3- Brooke Annibale an' Social Anxieties...

2- Lucius an' The Man I'll Never Find...

and only the second song to make five weeks at the top...

 


 ...Broken Bells an' Love On The Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

And that brings us to the end of the interstate rivalry game- but first, what DID Spotify have for Alabama, Bud?

At 10, a live version of Okie From Muskogee; 9, 6, and 3, differ'nt versions of Dixieland Delight; 8, High Cotton; 7, Born Country; 5- If You're Gonna Play In Texas (You Gotta Have A Fiddle In The Band); 4- Mountain Music; 2- I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why); an' #1, Song Of The South.

My question is, where's 40-Hour Week?

Don't ask me, I only got 25 1/2 because of inventory!  So that leaves us with our contest winners...

For Alabama, their top charter on the pop side was Love In The First Degree at #15; for Kansas, Dust In The Wind at #6, so our final is Kansas by 14- 19!

Mebbe cities next time?

Yeah I can just see someone commenting, "Didn't you ever hear of Pink Floyd, Wisconsin?"  Thank you, no!

No comments:

Post a Comment