What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Critters, critters; or, Misty the mighty hunter

 This week was way too hot for a lot of in-week pics.  The one day though, I wished I had brought the camera on an after-work sit-down at the park.  As we were leaving, both I and the guy at the bark park with his doggie saw what looked to be a large fox, running from our back yard across the street and across the canal.  Keep this in mind for later.

Friday and Saturday mornings more than made up for the week, though.  Let's go to Friday...

It was 630 on a gray, pleasant morning as we took off.

This was my failed attempt to capture a somewhat befuddled lightning bug, either up too early or out too late...

Something interesting to look at while doggie takes a poop

Here's where the fun starts- she sees something in the canal that I don't


After several searching minutes, we move on...

But again, she sees something- and this time, I saw something go through the reeds and tall grass.

Third time- this time, varmint was on the other bank

You find the oddest things around here...

Misty thought there was something in the Swamp- but, nothing but green gunk, not even water


"Ah, I am refreshed!"

Once again, the bridge went to Marathon for coffee

Hmmm... bridge was closed yesterday

Evidence of doggie leaving the scene

Goslings getting so big, hard to tell from the adults

So, a celebrity is staying at the Holiday Inn.... possibly the Doobies, who were in town last night

Disc golfers are a classy bunch #SMDH

Moments before. Misty chased a coon up this tree.  I couldn't get a shot, but stay tuned...

Got a glimpse of a deer in the brush just north of the woods bridge.  So we snuck around the other side...

...and got a better look


And on the way back, raspberries!  The three dark ones became breakfast.


Suddenly, Misty started pulling hard, and I soon found out why.  Scrambling up a couple of nearby trees...






...another whole family of raccoons!  They are extremely busy and out and about this year- result, I'm guessing, of plentiful food everywhere.



Mr squirrel wasn't happy to be spotted

Our first bunny of the day- we would see three more from here on- playing with another squirrel

Misty following a robin who ran into something- one broken wing, and his leg lined up like a NextGen car with a broken toe link

Later, Mommy got Misty a chipmunk!



That brings us to Saturday- about a half-hour later, and a bunch more humid...

...but just as gray

Yesterday, we had an issue for a while installing our new cable boxes.  But nothing like a neighbor's Flat Screen Massacre

That teeny tiny hole where the walk hits the step?  Chipmunk just dove in

Bunny #1, on Ground Hog Road

Way in the distance, a deer!  Had the devil's own time trying to get it to look up...



Finally!

From a distance, wasn't sure if it was squirrel, bunny, or varmint.  Answer: squirrel



2 more bunnies



College of Cardinals breakfast


This dude is here every weekend morning

Misty searches for her baby varmints... no luck again

No change at the airstrip, except for a lot of orange flags...

...and a new pile of dirt

Something with an arc to it, anyway

Then, Misty takes me a winding journey through the tall grass, only to investigate a den...

...and another one at the canal...

"He was JUST HERE!"

That little dot in lower left quadrant is Mr Skrat's nose


Yet another bunny...

And again, breakfast

Misty had one, liked it

Misty took off like there were more coons ahead, but I think it was just memories of yesterday


Now, remember that 'fox'?  Well, guess what...

...it was a coyote!



If you blow up this shot, you'll note it appears to be a nursing female.

She was big (bigger than Misty), fearless, and calmly sauntered away into the bush as we followed (because she was on our way home).


And when we got home? Blue skies (to go with the 82% humidity...)

14 comments:

  1. I was thinking 'coyote' earlier. The things you see and you don't have your rifle with you!

    That's a nice set of photos. I enjoyed your walks with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't see me with the rifle- I always want to see them the next time!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos of a refreshing walk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this is the comment you thought you left- it just didn't show up on my comment list until today!!

      Delete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. Wondering about the lone shoe. That could make a flash fiction story. Raspberries! It has been decades since I have gathered these in the wild. Your forays into the wilderness is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's anything this neighborhood is good for, it's leaving behind one of a pair. We found a Tampa Bay Rays warmup jacket this spring...

      Delete
  4. I just lost everything I wrote which is bloody annoying shaking hands make things difficult at times, I was here yesterday and I thought I left a comment but who knows I felt like shit yesterday and really don't know, I have never picked or eaten wild berries of any kind and of course I liked this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raspberries ain't bad... the strawberries, I just do to say I did 'em, not a lot of flavor. I heard your testing COVID, hope you feel better quickly!

      Delete
  5. Lots of wildlife in your area! No wonder Misty loves her walks. ☺ We have coyotes too, but the foxes have disappeared...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a lot of people have said the same thing around here. I while back, the yard guy working at the Plex and I saw one, and he complained about foxes "Pooping on the fields". I thought, "Dipstick, it's the GEESE that are fertilizing the pitches!" But they may have put stuff out to get rid of them.

      Delete
  6. GREAT pics! Love the raccoons. We had some here, I swear they'd do a tap dance for us, they were not afraid of anything. I'm always cautious now a days when Alaska perks up, we've got two black bears roaming neighboring towns. Harmless if you keep your distance, but I'm good with just seeing them on ring cams and the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same as our coons. Blew my horn at one and it looked at me like, "Yeah, so?"

      Delete
  7. What a cool set of pictures! Not a lot of wildlife here, I'm afraid. Apart from the two-legged variety, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks... Misty might not mind so much, but I would...

      Delete