What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, June 9, 2023

M10 show week 73

 

Well, we are back at last!  King, you got that guest you were talking about before vacation?


Sure do, Hoss!  I'd like ya ta meet...


 ...my Mama, Gladys!

G:  Nice to meet you!  Is my boy being good for you?

Mostly, ma'am!  But that may change here in a bit... 

E: I don' like the way that sounds...

It'll be all right, bud!  Just go ahead and lead off with our first debut...

E:  Here, Mama, read this card...

G: Well, all right... "Debuting at #10 with their first time on our countdown, this is the Lemon Twigs..." is that good?

E: Just fine, mama!

 

********************************************************* 

Okay, let's get this over with, the moment you've all been waiting for- the next to last installment of our rolling Rolling Stone list of their 200 greatest singers of all time....

17- Elvis Presley.

E: WHHHAAAATTTT!!!????!!!

G:  Oh, son, that's so nice!  You made the list!

E: But Mama, I wanted...

G: Oh, I know, you wanted to tell me yourself.  But that's all right, I'm so proud of you!

E: Grrmbll Thanks, Mama...

16- Prince.  I might put him this high on a guitar players list, but I'm not convinced on his voice.

15- Bob Dylan.  I realize that he's here for his influence, and if they titled this, "influential singers', I wouldn't laugh out loud. Much love, Bobby, but a vocalist you ain't.

14- Freddy Mercury.  To me, Freddy suffers from the same thing as Prince- he did SO MANY things with his vocal powers, it's hard to tell what he would have done just singing.  I have no problem with him here.

13- Patsy Cline.  I'd put her higher yet, but I salute RS for recognizing real talent.

12- John Lennon. If I didn't hate Imagine, if I didn't find him too pseudo-intellectual for my taste, I still wouldn't have him this high.

11- Little Richard. See "Freddie Mercury".  I would love to here him do a ballad.

10- Al Green.  I have to say, "Overrated".  Especially since they all sound like Let's Stay Together.

9- Otis Redding. I wonder if he hadn't died tragically would they have put him here.

(At this point, I should note that Beyonce came in 8th, but I've only ever heard one of her tunes.)

7- Stevie Wonder. I don't know... I'd like to say yes, but he won't hit this high on my re-rack coming in 2 weeks...

 

And tune in next week for the final installment!  You'll be here, right, Bud?

E:  I dunno man... got stuff ta do...

G: Elvis Aaron Presley!  What are you moping about?  You did a fine job and now you want to ruin it by being a pouty pants?

E: But Mama...

G: You will be here next week if I have to TWIST YOUR EAR!

Um, now that THAT'S taken care of, let me play the other debut at #8.  I missed the boat on this, which makes me mad, because the lp came out last December, but better late than never- Here's new (ish) Saint Asonia...

 

******************************************************

And now, one more thing- the 1976 Song I wouldn't turn off this week. I collected 12 of them off the Cashbox chart for this week, and never have I had it this easy!

3rd on the list was Eric Carmen's Never Gonna Fall In Love Again at #16...

2nd was Henry Gross with Shannon at #7... and the song I wouldn't turn off, which just happens to be my all time favorite...

 

ELO and Strange Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sat at #28 this week.


 Mrs. Presley, it was nice to meet you!  Please feel free to come back anytime!

G: It would be my pleasure! You seem such a nice man, I don't know why Elvis goes on about you so! 

E: Mama, it's literally my JOB to!

2 comments: