What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, June 23, 2023

M10 Show week #75

 

Welcome to a new episode of the M10 show!  This week, I give my re-rack of the Rolling Stone list of the greatest singers of all time, play you two (somewhat) new debuts, and a rather short list of the Song I wouldn't turn off this week in 1974!  My co-conspirator is currently enjoying a 5 Guys food coma, so for the moment I'll be winging it on my own.  And first up is a debut from, guess who?

Elvis:  Man, stop playin' with them!

Ah, the King awakes!  What he's referring to is, this is brand new stuff from- the Guess Who! At #10...



************************************************* 

 

Anyway, I tol' you ta wake me up so's I can hear where you put me on yer list!

I'd have gotten to that sooner or later!  I tell you what, I'll give my top 21- in 3 sets of sevens, divided through the rest of the show.  Now, by no means is this an exhaustive list of my greatest voices- only my re-rack of the ones Rolling Stone had on theirs.   I'll give you my rank and their rank for each and a little math to transpose what it means to compare a list of 200 with a list of 65.  And...

21- Gladys Knight.  21st puts her at the top 32.3 % of my list.  RS had her at 101, which is just south of top 50.   An improvement of 18.2% on my list.  See how this works?  So now I'll skip the math and just give the improvement.

20- Diana Ross.  Their rank- 87; improvement, 12.8.

19- Brenda Lee. Their rank- 161; improvement, a whopping 51.3.

18- Paul McCartney.

Booo!!!!!

You hush up!  Their rank- 26; improvement- well, he lost  13.0 on mine!

Haw!!!!

You hush up!

17- Freddy Mercury. Their rank- 14, so he also fell on mine, by 19.1.  Ouch!

16- Sam Cooke. They had him way up at #3, so on mine he fell a big 23.1...

15- Russell Thompkins Jr (Stylistics).  Their rank was 142, so he improved on mine by 47.9!


And that's the first set, let's pause here and do my Song I wouldn't Turn off, 1974 edition.  This week's Cashbox chart only had five songs I put in this category, and...

#3, sitting at CB's # 33 this week, Golden Earring and Radar Love...

#2, sitting at number 14 this week, Steely Dan and Rikki Don't Lose That Number...

And my top song I wouldn't turn off this week, at CB's #37...


Grand Funk Railroad and The Loco-Motion!

And now, back to the re-rack...

14- Brian Wilson. Their rank was 57, so he creeps up on mine by 6.0.

13- Bill Withers. Their rank was 106, so he improves by 33.0.

12- Minnie Ripperton. They said 65, so she improves 14.0.

11- Barry White. They put him at 56, so he climbs 11.1.

10- Barbra Streisand. She was put at 147- seriously?- so she jumps by 58.1.

9- Johnny Cash. Him they had at 85, so he goes up 28.7.

8- Donnie Hathaway. He was ranked 126; his improvement is 50.7.

Didja fergit about me?

Nope, you'll be in my top 7.  Next up, once again the benefits of finally having an alt station in townThis one actually charted in 2019, but has recently been playing as if new on our radio.  His name in full is Abubakar Baker Shariff-Farr;  he goes by Bakar, and he hit #8 back then with a tune I debut at #7....


**************************************************************** 

In case you're wondering, he was born near London, of Tanzanian and Yemeni descent.

That's some good goulash, there!

Yep, and now, back to the list...

7- Elvis Presley.

WHAT?  Man, you like doin' this to me, surprising me an' stuff...

Just the way the ball bounced, Buddy! They had you at 17,  so... well, I actually dropped you by 2.2....

Some friend you are...

6- Marvin Gaye.  RS placed him at 20,  so this was virtual agreement- he moved up 0.2.

5- David Ruffin. He was ranked 66,  so he gains 25.3.

4- Karen Carpenter. In a gross miscarriage of justice, they put her at 123, so here she gains 55.4.

3- Frank Sinatra. 

You had Sinatra 4 spots ahead of me?

I did.  And you spent enough time in Vegas to know you hadn't ought to argue too much.

Well, that's prob'ly true...

Frank was posted at 19,  so he gains just 4.9.

2- Teddy Pendergrass. They stuck him at 42, so he gains 17.9 on mine.

And my #1 on those on their list that I knew...

 

1- Patsy Cline. They had her at 13, so just a 5.0 gain.

So who was the big winners an' losers?

I tell you what, let me figure that up while you do the rest of the M10...

Sure thing!

9- an' up 1 for Gaslight Anthem an' Positive Charge...

8- also up one fer Lemon Twigs an' Ghost Run Free...

6- an' a 1 spot slip fer 100 gecs an' Hollywood Baby...

5- Saint Asonia takes that spot with Devastate...

4- an' down two fer Albert Hammond Jr and Old Man...

3- an' up one for Beach House an' Black Magic... 

2- everybody go up one spot! This time, Geowulf an' Slow Dance...

An' #1 fer a second week...

 


 ...Bethany Cosentino an' It's Fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Y'all got that list yet?

Okay, so as you can deduce from the previous listing, the biggest climbers were, first Streisand, followed by Karen Carpenter, Brenda Lee, Donny Hathaway, and Russell Thompkins.  The biggest droppers started with Al Green, followed by Bob Dylan, Mariah Carey, John Lennon, and Otis Redding.  And the closest to matches? 5th closest match was Roy Orbison, then you, Buddy, then Ronnie Spector, Marvin Gaye, and one guy hit a dead on match- his 39th place on mine being equivalent to his 120th on the RS list...


photo credit Michael Ochs

...Charlie Rich!!!!!!!!!!!.  And with that, have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. This post brought to mind some good memories of my mum listening to music she liked Charlie Rich and Johnny Cash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Whoo, I almost accidentilly deleted this! #MorePepsi

      Delete
  2. thecontemplativecat here. Some awesome voices there!! Bakar has some good pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little difficult in his enunciation, due to the various backgrounds, but that groove I could play on loop forever!

      Delete
  3. The "new" Guess Who was okay, but without Cummings and Bachman, it pales a lot. Sorry, I'm a little biased when it comes to favourite bands. ☺ Some of those voice rankings are unbelievable! Barbra Streisand at 147? Sheesh! Elvis and Frank both had great voices, but what about Dino?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't like them so much for a GW sound (although it was a little Canned Wheat-ish), but it sounded vaguely CSN ish to me. Like I said, I didn't go off of the RS list, those bozos left a lot of the great crooners off like Dino, Andy Williams, Emilio Pericoli....

      Delete