What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, July 28, 2023

M10 show week #80

 


So today, we have the answer to the question I asked last week- can a song hit #1 for the first time in it's 8th week in the M10?  It might be happening here, but will Saint Asonia-

-blast its way through to the top, or will Bakar-


-become the first 4-week #1 since Love On The Run way back last October? Stay tuned, because we have a few things to get to first- and they start with our first debut at #1.  Yes, the song is controversial  (for no good reason), and where I stand is reflected in that I gave it a chance, and love it.  At #10- Jason Aldean...

 

****************************************************************

Elvis:  Sorry about that (even though you din't see it), we just had a technical glitch.  What the heck was that?

That's what happens when you are imbedding a video and hit "copy" instead of paste- you get two copies of everything you already did! Anyhow, I should make mention of the passing of Sinead O'Connor.  She wasn't really my thing, but 56 is too young to die whoever you are. 

Yeah, tell me about it!

Moving on, this week we are visiting 1969 with the Song I Wouldn't Turn Off, a week that saw Canada topped by the Cashbox #2 song, Crystal Blue Persuasion- a song that made the long list of seven songs I wouldn't turn off- and Australia by the Beatles' Ballad of John And Yoko, a song I actually usually turn off, which was #31 on Cashbox.  After careful consideration...

Not ta mention adding a song ya missed at the end, which turned out ta be yer top one...

Thank you, Mr Pointing-out-the-flubs!  Here, then, are the top three:

3rd is the tune at #2- Tommy James and Crystal Blue Persuasion...

2nd is the tune at #1 this week- Zager and Evans In The Year 2525 ( peaking at 2 in Australia and #1 in Canada)...

And that #1 song I wouldn't turn off- and yes, I came THIS close to not seeing it...

 


 ...the song at #56 this week- The Man in Black and A Boy Named Sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Australia #2, Canada #1).


Now, for our second debut, here's someone you might remember helping the illuminatti hottie Sara Tudzin with her big hit u.v.v.p.- Buck Meek at #8:


****************************************************** 

Okay, so let the folks know the rest of the story, bud!

Sure!  Should I do my "Walter Cronkite" voice?

Only if you want me to do my "Bob Sievers" voice...

Killjoy!  Here we go...

9- Lemon Twigs down 3 to #9, and part of a now 4 way tie in the 79-80 range of the all time summer list, with Ghost Run Free. 

7- Holdin' at the spot, Noah Kahan's Dial Drunk.

6- and now sliding into the #6 all-time slot for summer songs, down 2 for Bethany Cosentino's It's Fine.

5- Bakar up 3 with Alive!

4- MAGS up 1 with Destroyer...

3- the other active member of that 79-80 range tie, Gaslight Anthem's Positive Charge at #3...

2- and if I tell ya that Hell N Back  slips to 2, you know we have a new record...

Saint Asonia's first #1 on the M10- hitting the top 8 weeks into its run!

 

Nicely done!  I also thought I would introduce you to a little side project I started a bit ago.  One afternoon nap, I was dreaming of singing a James Taylor song to a dog (not  Misty).  Which made me wonder if he ever had a hit song that wasn't a cover besides Fire And Rain.  Which made me think, I wonder how many songs that hit the Martin Era 2.0 Cashbox top ten were covers, and how many originals? I have a long way to go, but right now, it's running about 2/3rds originals.  I'll keep you informed as I work my way through! 


NOTE:  Just now informed that former Eagle Randy Meisner passed Wednesday.  Hoping to do some Eagles stuff in tribute next time...

6 comments:

  1. While I'm not a huge country music fan, the controversy about Jason Aldean's song is disturbing. Music is subjective. We all have the right to like and support, or dislike and ignore a song, but nobody should have the right to ban it! Same thing with books.

    Love Crystal Blue Persuasion and In The Year 2525 - we seem to be heading in that direction, unfortunately.

    I didn't know James Taylor recorded a lot of covers! Your idea sounds interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and eye-straining! My thoughts on SBJ aren't as accurate as they'd like to be... I count 5 covers among 14 hot 100 hits.

      Delete
  2. thecontemplativecat here... Some good songs. Sweet Baby James is always a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. My brain was scattered about throughout this post. Johnny Cash kept me grounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain is scattered writing them! For example, it took me till the next day to realize I subconsciously came up with the Walter Cronkite/Bob Sievers (a late local air personality) bit mainly because it would be hard to tell me doing Cronkite from me doing Bob...

      Delete
  4. Well, put! IMHO, the lady in this case was just looking for face-time in the media.

    ReplyDelete