What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Wednesday Bible Study: The Walk of John, part 8

 

I said last week we were heading for the Pharisees' last great challenge to Jesus- the challenge of the Flesh.  In studying this, I found it beneficial to do pyramid analysis- find the center verse, and work out from there.  And as it turns, the central verse is the crux of their argument:

Joh 8:33  They answered Him, We are Abraham's seed and were never in bondage to anyone. How do you say, You will be made free? 


This covers two statements, one they don't quite grasp and the other an outright lie.  Who is Abraham? A man that, when he did things his own way, fled from where God wanted him, relied on his own understanding, and created the worst enemies his prophesied people ever faced.  When he followed the Word of God, he found strength, honor, and miraculous provision.  Abraham grew in faith until he became known as the Friend of God (2 Chron 20:7). They may have been the descendants of where Abraham started, but they sure weren't those of where he finished.  Plus, 'never in bondage'? What about to Cushan the Double-Evil (Judges 3:8), Eglon of Moab (3:14), Jabin the Canaanite King (4:13), etc, etc, not to mention that delightful 70-year Babylonian 'vacation'.  And it falls apart from there.

First pairing

Joh 8:26  I have much to say about you and much to judge, but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him."
Joh 8:27  They did not understand that he had been speaking to them about the Father.


Joh 8:41  You are doing the works your father did." They said to him, "We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father--even God."
 

Jesus had been witnessing to them about the Father that they here claimed- but never did they listen.  They were listening to THEIR Father...

Joh 8:43  Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.
Joh 8:44  You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
Joh 8:45  But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 


Which explains the main two traits of their dealing with Jesus- lying, and wanting to kill Him.

Second Pairing

Joh 8:25  So they said to him, "Who are you?" Jesus said to them, "Just what I have been telling you from the beginning.

Joh 8:48  The Jews answered him, "Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?"
Joh 8:49  Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.

 

They didn't like Jesus's answer as to who He was, for reasons we've been down.  They manufactured their own answer- He was both not a Jew, and possessed.  Note that Jesus answers the one charge they might have actually believed directly ("I do not have a demon") but cuts to the core of the other, insulting (to them) charge: "You dishonor Me."  When Abraham met Jesus, he honored Him:

 Gen 18:1  And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day.
Gen 18:2  He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth...

Third Pairing

 

Joh 8:21  So he said to them again, "I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come."
Joh 8:22  So the Jews said, "Will he kill himself, since he says, 'Where I am going, you cannot come'?"


 Joh 8:52  The Jews said to him, "Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, 'If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.' 


Their concept of death was completely flawed.  As much as the Pharisees liked to separate themselves from the Saduccees by their belief in an afterlife, they never saw the connection between life and afterlife.  Reminds me of the way Jesus destroyed the Saduccees in debate...

Mat 22:31  And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God:
Mat 22:32  'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Fourth Pairing

 

Joh 8:19  They said to him therefore, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also." 

 

Joh 8:53  Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?"
Joh 8:54  Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, 'He is our God.'

 

Jesus exposes their unbelief of the Father here, accusing them of claiming a God they do not obey.  They say, "who do you make yourself out to be?" even after He told them, "If you knew Me, you would know the Father". Their refusal to believe in Jesus was rooted in a mouth only belief in God.


Fifth Pairing

Joh 8:13  So the Pharisees said to him, "You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true."
Joh 8:14  Jesus answered, "Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going.


Joh 8:56  Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad."
Joh 8:57  So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"
Joh 8:58  Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." 


The debate was over the "two or more witnesses" rule in the Law.  They did not see that Jesus was both God and apart from God.  All that was left was the denouement.


Final Pairing

 

Joh 8:12  Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."


 Joh 8:59  So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple. 

 

8:59 is so pregnant with meaning.  He had finished revealing Himself to them; from now on, they would have no chance to repent- God had left their Temple.  And just like when we started our journey:

Joh 1:9  The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
Joh 1:10  He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.
Joh 1:11  He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 


John has come full circle in this part of his tale; now, Jesus was going to focus on filling His Disciples for the final journey.

2 comments: