What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, April 12, 2024

M10 show week #115

 


Before you even ask, dude, food's on the way...


Thank goo'ness, I'm starved!

I'd love to go into the dynamics of that one, but we do have a show to put on.  And we are moving the feature up to 1982- and I have a hard time fathoming that's 42 years ago- and I have a very strange anomaly with our debuts this week.

But, what're we eating?

Just wait till it gets here, Buddy!  That strange anomaly works like this:  I have this song I have tried for 6 weeks now to squeeze into the top ten, and I finally did it- the same week that a very different song by the same act makes a big, big debut- the highest debut since August!  That first one, that I finally got in at #10, is hard sixties-psychedelic style, and the act is Shannon and the Clams...

The which?

Just hit the button...




********************************************************

That video was flat weird...

And me ordering food for time-displaced dead Elvis is sane... anyway, let's hit up that feature!  Like I said, we go to 1982- about the limit of my patience with top 40 music, time wise.  This week, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts rule the charts in the US and Canada- I love Rock And Roll was in a five-out-of-six week run here, and 8 solid in Canada.  And, it would top the Australian charts in a month or so. Right now though, their topper was one I had to play to remember- a song called What About Me by Moving Pictures, which peaked here at #21- but was strangely absent from the Canadian chart!  And my top five, based on the fact that, while I don't have the records of it anymore, I was keeping a top ten at this point, and this should be pretty close to what it was...

5- Human League, Don't You Want Me, climbing this week 47 to 36.  This might even be a bit early, as I remember this song had to grow on me, but let's go with it.  Peaked 1 here, 2 Canada, 4 Australia.

**OBLIGATORY FOOD BREAK***

That weren't bad!  Who was it?

Basically the Buffalo Wild Wings burger dudes.  Pretty good!  Anyhow...

4- Bertie Higgins, Key Largo.  Climbing 9 to 8 this week, so probably falling from an earlier #1 perch.  Peaks: 7 here, 3 in Canada, 2 in Australia.

3- Stevie Nicks, Edge Of Seventeen.  Maybe a bit late on this one, it played for several weeks on Album Rock before it ever charted.  Moving from 21-19 where it peaked on Cashbox (went on to 11 on Billboard), 11 in Canada, and was the one single off that Stevie Nicks solo lp that did not chart in Australia.

2- 867-5309 (Jenny) by Tommy Tutone.  It was fighting for the top now, and moved up 26-21 on CB.  Peaks were 5 here, 2 in Canada, and 22 in Australia.  And my #1 for this week in '82?


1- Paul Davis, '65 Love Affair.  This was definitely top of my list at this point, I had become a big PD fan after I Go Crazy.  It moved up 23-16 on CB this week.  Peaks were 10 here, 11 in Canada, and 71 in Australia.

And now, coming in at #5, once again, Shannon and the Clams...


******************************************************

Wow... the video might be a bit silly, but...

The song flat makes me cry.  One of those you hear it the first time and say, "Look out, who ever's at #1, you won't be there much longer...

(Sniffle...)

Okay, buddy, pick up the M10, wouldja?

Sure thing- ah mean, ya did feed me this week...

Hey, didja realize ya had another debut?

Oh crap, yes I did!  This guy's real name is Esteban Munoz, he's Chilean/Norwegian, and his gig is coming up with great instrumentals and then making lyrics with a guest singer.  He has a new lp called friends, from which I was just listening to a great track he did with Dent May, which I'm sure you'll get to here here soon.  But the song that debuts at #9- an instrumental track he dubbed "Coldplay on Acid"- became a song as he had a long talk one day with M10 star Bethany Cosentino.  So what name does he go by on the airwaves, you ask?  Here's Bob Jr. :


**************************************************

Thank you, Mr Absent minded...

What can I say?  It's been a week from hell itself...

Now, where wuz I?

8- Amira Elfeky dips from 6 with A Dozen Roses...

7- Sheryl Crow an' Peter Gabriel up 2 with Digging In The Dirt...

6- Mr May with Jordana, Coasting On Fumes coasts down 3...

4- Back up one for Suki Waterhouse an' Every Day's A Lesson in Humility...

3- Up one for Big Thief an' Not...

2- Stepping down one, Broken Bells an' The Mall And Misery...

An' our new #1....



...Kacey Musgraves an' Cardinal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See if she can hold off Shannon Shaw and her Clams next week!

1 comment: