What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, April 19, 2024

M10 show week # 116

 




Leftovers.  An' not enough fer me!

That's just the way the ball bounces sometimes, my friend.  But let that not spoil your fun on this week's M10 show, bec-

Fun?  My stomach's growlin'!  

Go make a sandwich then, while I get things started with a two-debut M10, a really bad week for my top five of 1981 in Australia, and...

Ah'll fix yer fun.  Guess who just joined me in rock'n'roll Heaven?

I heard, Dickie Betts from the Allman Brothers Band.  We're all getting old...

Ah'm not, haw!

I'm not even sure that's funny, considering...  Anyway, my first debut is kind of one of those songs I don't know how it managed to drift into the shuffle, as it's from 2012, and from someone I know nothing about.  But, it's kind of got that just-starting-out M10 vibe, so here at ten is Frankie Rose...


***************************************************************

Ah din't unnerstand ANY of that!

Well, see, she... oh, never mind, it's like talking to Gilligan!  So let's move back to target year 1981, where we see Sheena Easton's Morning Train (9 to 5) at the top on Cashbox.  Called just 9 To 5 in Europe, it got the name change here because Dolly Parton was charting with another 9 To 5 at this point... in fact, it was a past #1 here, the current #1 in Canada (to be replaced by Sheena in 2 weeks!) and would get to #9 in Australia- while Morning Train would top their charts in 2 weeks.  However, Australia's top song this week in '81 got short shrift in North America, getting to #14 on US Mainstream rock, but that's it.  It was Adam and the Ants  with Antmusic, and like what I do know of his music, it must be an acquired taste that I never did acquire.

But fear not, Australia sticks it to me on MY top 5 of the week!  

5- April Wine, Just Between You And Me.  Moving into its peak spot of 21 here, I was surprised that this Canadian act only got to 22 there.  Not as surprised it didn't get Down Under.

4- Yarborough and Peoples, Don't Stop The Music.  It also moves into its peak of 17; this time it was Canada that ignored it, and Australia peaked it at 73.

3- Phil Collins, I Missed Again.  At 32 this week, Billboard peaked it at 19; the rest of y'all hit each end, peaking at #2 in Canada, but at 88 in Australia.

2- Juice Newton, Angel Of The Morning.  I loved this almost as much as the Merilee Rush original; moving 4 to #4 this week, it would get stuck at 2 behind Sheena here, top the charts in Canada, and get nowhere near Australia.

And that leaves my top song for the week- a song hitting its #11 peak in both Canada and the US, and managing a week's best #54 in Australia...



...James Taylor and JD Souther and Her Town Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, you wuz right, Australia left ya down with a thud!

It wouldn't be interesting to do if the hits were in the same place everywhere!  Next up, our second debut, more new Real Estate at #9...


*********************************************************

You got the rest of the ten, or are you starving to death?

Ah'm starvin'.  An' lazy as a result.

There you have it, number 944 on Elvis's list of excuses to be lazy!  Here's the rest of the list...


8- Up two for Shannon and the Clams and Moon Is In The Wrong Place.

7- Down 3 for Suki Waterhouse and Every Day's A Lesson In Humility.

6- Up one for Crow and Gabriel and Digging In The Dirt.

5- A big 4 spot jump for Bob Jr and Bethany Cosentino and Always (All The Time).

4- Slipping two for the former #1, Broken Bells and The Mall And Misery.

3- And holding for Big Thief with Not.

2- Surpirsingly dumped from her one-week run at the top, Kacey Musgraves and Cardinal.

And the new number one...




...Shannon and the Clams and Real Or Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We'll be back next time, an' there'll be food, ifn I have ta bring it!

I am NOT eating Bologna Casserole... I have enough digestive issues!

4 comments:

  1. I like listening to clips of songs I have never heard before, for that I thank you and say cliip number 2 was better then clip number 1. There are some songs on this list I know and some I don't but that is how life is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankie Rose has a real 80s vibe. Interesting back story about Morning Train - I didn't know it was called 9 to 5, originally. April Wine has a huge following here in Canada, but not so much, elsewhere. At least there were some inroads in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning train came out during the old American Top 40 years, I listened to Casey Kasem religiously.

      Delete