What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, June 14, 2024

M10 show week #123

 



Well, it was a week of motion on the M10- only one song holds in place!

That's unusual!

Not as much as it seems- now, one with no holds, that would be really unusual!

Not as much as ya think- it happened three weeks ago!

Gee, this line of discussion hit a dead end fairly rapidly!  Anyway, it leads to a three- debut week, and up first is a single from the upcoming lp, As It Ever Was, So It Will Be Again...

Ah shure hope the song ain't that long winded!

You get your wish!  At #10, the Decemberists and Oh, No....



***************************************************

And I really got a surprise for you next!  But first...

Wait, whut surprise?

Don't you always say, build up the suspense?  Anyhow, our target year is 1974, and this week in Australia, Paper Lace was at the top with Billy Don't Be A Hero.  The song was #5 here, on it's way to the top- but by Canadians Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods!  That version was at #5 this week, and it is one of a handful of big hits for me NOW... that I just wasn't hearing on the radio THEN... I think mainly because I listened to WOWO, and songs like, say, Mac Davis doing One Hell Of A Woman, were beyond their pale.  Billy, as well, since it had that Vietnam theme.  Paper Lace's version got to #68 here, but zip zing in Canada.

On the other hand, Canada's #1 this week was #3 on it's way to #1 here- another favorite son, Gordon Lightfoot with Sundown.  It would make 4 in Australia, and thus wins this week's "song we all agree on" award.

Is that gonna be a new feature?

Knowing me, it'll be forgotten by next week.  Right now, Band On The Run was our #1, with Paul and the Wings to hit #1 in Canada... but apparently not released in Australia...

Before I give my top 5 for the week...

I know, I got it!  Debut #2 comes in at #8- it's from a just released lp that this guy's son found among his unreleased stuff, stripped it down to his voice and acoustic, added new backing tracks, and released it under the title, Songwriter.  Here's that Man In Black, Johnny Cash!


********************************************************************

Now, that there's music!  

No argument there, so good to have new stuff from one of my late, great heroes!  And now, my top 5 from this week in 1974...

5- Waterloo, ABBA.  Moving from 50 to 37 this week, it would stop at 10 on Cashbox (6 on Billboard), 7 in Canada, and #4 in ABBA-crazed Australia.

4- Rock And Roll Heaven, the Righteous Brothers.  Leaping from 35 to 16 this week, it would peak 4 on CB and in Canada, and 25 in Australia. Kind of a good week to mention that song!

3- Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Steely Dan.  Up from 28 to 23 this week, in Canada and on CB it would hit #3, and keeping with the theme, 30 in Australia.

2- Band On The Run, Wings.  We already hit the highlights here.  So let's get that high debut, and then I'll let you in on my top song.

Yepper!  This is another of those "anniversary remixes" that are so popular right now.  It was their first lp, ten years ago, called Wildwomen, and on this remix they get joined by the main man from Mumford and Sons, Marcus Mumford.  All the way up at 6, here's Lucius....



**************************************************

That one's been on the shuffle for a while, doing the 'grow on me' bit.  Anyway, my top song from this week in 1974...



...Gordon Lightfoot's sundown!  Here's a story for you:  The first time Dad gave me money to pick out my own 45, I was so excited- but (once again, that WOWO thing)  I didn't recognize a whole lot of records that I liked;  It came down to Sundown, which was on it's way out nationally, but still top twenty here- and Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods, not with Billy, but the follow up, Who Do You Think You Are, which was just on it's way up.  I went with Bo.

That's just rivitin'.  Mind if'n I do the rest of the top ten while ya still have an audience?

Don't be cruel....

Hardy-har-har!  Anyways...

9- Lake Street Dive got shuffled down 2 with Better Not Tell You...

7- Dexy's up 3 with I'm Going To Get Free...

5- Down one in week # 9 fer Real Estate an' Somebody New...

4- Geowulf's Dolly bobs up 5 ta #4....

3- an' holdin', another anniversary remake, Wings an' Junior's Farm...

2- Outta the top spot, Lorde, an' Take Me To The River...


An' the new numero uno...



...Rainbow Kitten Surprise an' Meticulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An' now they've hit the top, I can start just sayin' "RKS"!

How very nice for you!  See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of the song "Oh No" but I liked it a lot, Billy Don't be a Hero was a favourite of mine way back when. I have always liked Johnny Cash. Some bloody good music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny seemed like a family friend when I was a kid.

      Delete