What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, July 12, 2024

M10 show week #126

 


All right, so I'm trying to be back on schedule, but this was a week cursed by the gods (just kidding), and I don't know that I have a good bit or two to work in...


Elvis:  So play me straight fer a change!  Might help my image...


Which image? This one?


Uggh!  Fergot about that one...


So anyhow, target year is 1972, and two debuts on the M10.  Both these debuts are by superstar groups who have new lps out, both of them have had the first single swirl around my playlist but not crack the ten, and each have the second single make it.  At #10, here's the first with their first... no wait, second- hit on the M10- Bon Jovi...


****************************************************

So this week in 1972, Cashbox had Bill Withers and Lean On Me at the top.  It would also top Canada, and hit #5 in Australia- this is a week our charts were in rare agreement...

Ya mean it's rare they agree generally, or it will be rare this week?

Nice catch, I should have put that better.  We are in agreement this week to a rare degree.  In Canada this week, it was the Jimmy Castor Bunch and their Neanderthal novelty Troglodyte (Cave Man)- a song that was peaking at #2 this week on CB and got to #13 in Australia.  And one of my faves was tops in Australia- Dr Hook and Sylvia's Mother, a #2 in Canada.  CB and Billboard did a fair amount of disagreeing this week, with CB putting this one at #1, while BB gave it #5.

My top five for the week had me weeding out a lot of songs I like now but didn't really hear back then.  My five picks are:

5- Donna Fargo, Happiest Girl In The Whole USA.  28 on it's way to 11 this week, it was a #3 in Australia- but only hit the Country chart in Canada, with a #16 landing.

4- Rocket Man, Elton John.  This would have hit my astronomy bug at the time.  Peaking at 11 this week on CB, BB had it at 6.  Canada peaked it at 8, Australia at 13.

3- Brandy (You're A Fine Girl), Looking Glass.  An eventual #1 in North America, it was #17 this week here.  Australia peaked it at 10.

2- How Do You Do, Mouth and McNeil.  18 this week on it's way to 8 on BB, 5 on CB, it made it to #2 in Canada- and a low of 32 in Australia.

And my #1?


1- Too Late To Turn Back Now, Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose.  At #3 this week on its way to the top; it also hit the top in Canada, and 15 in Australia.

Very nice job.  Good of you to pick songs Everybody liked this time!

See, here's the thing- if you try to 'play it straight', you sound like Lawyer Bellbottom, without the anachronisms...

All I have to do is hear the word, "Bellbottom", to know that was an insult...

Our other debut at #7, is the third hit on the M10 for these alt superstars, but the first since December of '15... here's Cage The Elephant...


***************************************************************

That's quite a span without a hit here...

Good grief, would you just say something stupid, before people think you're sick?

I am not a simple bumpkin!  I am highly educated... I was the first in my family to get a high school diploma!

You wanna see my college diploma?

Can you even find the thing?

Pretty sure...

Well, you just do that, whilst I do the rest of the M10...

You used 'whilst'?  And you didn't pull a ligament in your tongue?  I'm impressed.

Grrrr....

#9- Back up one spot for Lake Street Dive and Better Not Tell You...

8- Down 3 for Geowulf and Dolly...

6- Back up one for Rainbow Kitten Surprise and Meticulous...

5- Up 3 for Royel Otis and Murder On The Dance Floor...

4- Up 2 for Johnny Cash and Well Alright...

3- Down a notch for Lucius and Go Home...

2- Up one for Pierce The Veil and Karma Police...

And again at #1....




...Shannon and the Clams and What You're Missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And not one mauled word! Let's try, "I am the very model of a modern major general"...

I can do straight, I can't do David Niven....

2 comments:

  1. Some damn good music listed here but Rainbow by Cage the Elephant didn't ring any bells, listen to it nope don't think I have heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, unlike some of my songs, it's on the chart right now... #28 on the alt chart. Murder on the Dance Floor is at #5.

      Delete