What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, August 30, 2024

M10 show week 133

 


Well, I'm partially ready to do an actual M10 post, despite right now (530 pm Thursday) recovering from a late afternoon walk with Misty. (Sunburn, that is!)  Anyway, I have 3 new debuts, and a new way of looking at our Target year 1968!  First, let's take a look at the #1s in our three nation club here.  Our friend Shaboozey and A Bar Song (Tipsy) is spending its 13th week at the top in Canada;  Billie Elish is in week #2 in Australia with Birds Of A Feather; and in the USA, it's also Shaboozey, for a 7th week.  Curiously, both Canada and the US have Shaboozey's run interrupted; Here, Kendrick Lamar's Not Like Us interrupted for one week after week one; in Canada, 2 weeks of Shaboozey was interrupted for 4 weeks by two different songs.


First of our 3 debuts comes in at #9.  Her second trip (actually, theirs) into the M10, sitting at 11 on Radiowavemonitor's Rock chart, here's Dorothy...



**********************************************************************************

So what I decided to do different with 1968 is- Every week, some songs are awarded a 'bullet' for strong upward movement.  I'm going now on to give you the biggest movers among the top 40 bullets of the week.  This week in 1968, that gives us...

5.  The Who, Magic Bus, up 9 spots to #36.  It peaked 10 on Cashbox, 6 in Canada, and 20 in Australia.

4. Special Occasion, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, up 10 to #40.  It would hit 26 in the US and 29 in Canada- and as usual for Motown, nothing in Australia.  Truth be told, I don't know it by name...

3- Beach Boys, Do It Again, up 14 to #12.  Did the best in Australia at #3, 8 in the US, 10 in Canada.

2- Aretha Franklin, The House That Jack Built, 19 spots to #24.  #6 in the US, 11 in Canada, and again, Motown skunks Australia.

And the big winner this week:

1. Hush, Deep Purple, 26 spots to 33.  #2 in Canada, 4 in the US, and 27 peak in Australia.


As for my favorite, I'd have to say my top would have been 1910 Fruitgum Company's 1-2-3 Red Light.  It was #18 this week, heading for the top in Canada, 5 here, and 8 in Australia.  Bubble Gum lives!

Debut #2 on the M10 this week comes in at 7.  Here's Hazel English...


***************************************************************

I should give a 1968 tip of the hat to the highest bullet- Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild at #2.

This week's high debut resulted from me sifting through an album that had one #1 M10 hit back in 2015, our first year.  And like many of the big hits this summer, it starts high- all the way at #4.  From the lp Thank Your Lucky Stars, here's superstars (in the M10 world) Beach House...


*********************************************************************

And with that, the rest of the M10...

10- Dropping 5, the Heavy Heavy and Sleeping On Grassy Ground.
8- Dropping one, here's Shaboozey on my chart.
6- Falling 3, the Linda Lindas and All In My Head.
5- Up 4 for Jelly Roll and Dead End Road.
3- Up one for Orion Sun and Mary Jane.

2- If it charts higher than 9 next week, this is the song of summer- Decemberists and Long White Veil, dropping from 4 weeks at the top.

And the new #1....


...Beabadoobee and Beaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew, I made it!  Have a good Friday!

8 comments:

  1. Dorothy is awesome! 💥🤘 And by contrast, you mention Bubble Gum? 😆 Sorry, not a fan, but, different strokes... And thank you for mentioning Steppenwolf, one of my all-time favourite bands! 💖 'Born To Be Wild' has played a significant role in my personal history. Happy to see Jelly Roll moving up the chart! Have a good weekend. 🍻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I couldn't leave Steppenwolf out with you around, lol! It was like I had you over my shoulder!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the clips, Dorothy was the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before you know it, you won't have to worry about sunburn. That's a little depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific rundown! I totally dug Dorothy. ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete