What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 12, 2023

M10 show week #71

 



So, I saw the hubbub on Facebook, bub...

Oh yes, birthday season again.  For those of you not in the know: First the FB account was Laurie's, then joint.  Then some squirrley little you-know-what turned us in to the FB cops because I told him he lives in his mom's basement. Which is also why I can't share the link on FB anymore.  But we never changed the birthdate, so those that know wish me a happy birthday on Tuesday next, and those who don't wish me HB today (Thursday) which is Laurie's birthday.  What the hey, 5 days difference and the same age, so...

So, Laurie's your elder!  Means you gotta listen to her! Haw!

Mostly I do anyway- and when I don't, I generally should have!  So now can we get on with the usual stuff?

This IS the usual stuff, boss!

True, true... let me rephrase:  Our first of two debuts is by a duo whose genre is termed "hyperpop".  I don't know about that, but I like their song at #10 this week here- and #29 on iHeart's alt chart...this is 100gecs ( and good luck getting what that name means outta them...)


***********************************************

 

 Ya know, they used ta say that about me- "You'll never make it in Hollywood, baby!" Guess I showed them...

That would be the same 'them's that told the Beatles that "guitar bands are out..."  Anyhow, let's take a look at our latest installment of the rolling Rolling Stone list, and this week we crack their top 40 singers of all time...

45- Ella Fitzgerald. No argument here, just surprise they thought of her.  Someone must have remembered the Memorex commercials... 

44- James Brown. When Laurie and I play oldies, if our random song lands on him, we invoke the James Brown rule and skip it.  Entertainer yes, singer, hell no.

42- Teddy Pendergrass.  Someone go tell James Brown that this is what it sounds like when a MAN sings.  Very wll deserved.

41- Etta James. I admire them for featuring Etta, but I got to wonder if they just had her on a "You have to list her to gain credibility" list.

39- Louis Armstrong. Same here, and I'm really torn here.  His voice, such as it was, was secondary to his horn.  But I may have to put him on MY "You have to list him to gain credibility" list...

38- Curtis Mayfield.  I have no problem here, either.

37- Van Morrison.  I have slowly but surely hopped off the VM train over the years, and a sample from his latest lp earlier this year was... well, it did him no favors.  Despite my feelings, he is a very good singer and I would have no problem were he up around the 100's.

36- Kurt Cobain. There were two big voices that led me to alternative rock back in the day, and both are on this list! Nirvana's voice is one of them, and I love Nirvana.  Kurt was not a singer, and that was part of his, well, charm. Not here for me, sorry.

35- Dusty Springfield. YES! One hundred per cent back this choice.

And finally this week...

34- Thom Yorke. The Radiohead frontman is the other voice that drew me to alt.  While I am dubious about having him this high, I have no problem putting him in the upper half of the list.

Gettin' pretty close to the top, ain't we?

Yeah, only three more posts at most to finish this at long last!

Which week will I be in?

The one where your number comes up!  You can be patient for three lousy weeks... or two... maybe one...

Fat lotta help you are!  Anywho, here's our next debut on the M10 at #9... the very first M10 superstars...

 

 


************************************************** 

Beach House always makes my day better!  And that brings us to a very hard (for me) 1978 this week's Song I won't turn off!  I actually pulled out twelve from this week's Cashbox hot one hundred, and the Devil's own time trying to pick a top three!  But a top three I picked, and they are...

The week's #8 song, Andy Gibbs' Shadow Dancing...

The week's #62 song, Heatwave's The Grooveline...

And my top song I wouldn't turn off.... the week's #49...


 ...Samantha Sang and Emotion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, bud, the rest of the M10 is yours!

10- No, wait, I did ten and nine...

8- Down 3, Darius Hootie Rucker an' Fires Don't Start Themselves...

7- Up 3, Lauren Daigle an' New...

6- Up one, Cafune an' Want Me Out...

5- Up one, Linkin Park's More The Victim...

4- Down one, Wallows an' Are You Bored Yet?...

3- Up one, Jelly Roll an' Need A Favor...

2- Holdin' , Caroline Rose and Everywhere I Go I Bring The Rain...

An, still at #1... an' also #1 on iHeart's list....

 


 ...Gorillaz an' New Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Just FYI (or FWIW), New Gold is #3 on Radio Wave Monitor's Alt chart, Hollywood Baby is #41, Need A Favor #59 as well as 29 on their country chart,  and Fires is at #60 on that same chart. Till next time, when Laurie and I will both be 62!

1 comment: