What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 5, 2023

M10 show week #70

 

Nothing I hate more than being bushed after 40 hours and having to work OT....

Elvis: Agin? I thought ya wuz doin' mid-May orders already...

We are, but we "have to get ahead" because the wonderful employees at our other plants are unable to do their part, so we work for three plants.

I saw that, you started putting "nincompoops" and changed it! 


 
So maybe we best get some of this done before food arrives, and...

What're we havin?

Double crust Oley's pizza.  Now can I finish a thought?

Ya just tested yer sugar at 71.  Yer lucky you can FORM a thought!

Your mouth to God's ear, buddy! Before I have you play the lone debut this week, let me just mention the passing of MHOFer Gordon Lightfoot. His body of work extends beyond just what I know, and what I know is beautiful.  A man that can take the subject matter of a song like The Circle Is Small and make it come out sounding joyous is a genius in my book!  Okay, hit that video...

Yeppir, this week I was expecting that that new Beach House wuz gonna be at least here, but Lauren Daigle's newest beat it out! At #10...

 

*********************************************************** 

 

All right, let me get set up here for the latest round of our rolling Rolling Stone list, based on their "200 greatest singers of all time", with the word 'greatest' really meaning "most influential", or "Buddies with the editorial board", and "singer" being applied somewhat loosely.  Once again, let's keep in mind that today's list is closer to #1 than Diana Ross, Michael Jackson  , and Elton John, to name a few... 

****SAVAGE FEEDING FRENZY BREAK***

And we thank you, Jesus, for the food!  Now, let's get to this week's ten...

57- Brian Wilson.  Perhaps the only member of the list (outside Mick Jagger and Smoky Robinson) to have a hit song ABOUT him, the genius of the Beach Boys definitely deserves a spot.  I might have him a bit higher.

56- Barry White.  Make your jokes (or borrow mine) about 'bedroom music', but this man had pipes! No problem here.

55- Tina Turner. Entertainer, yes... singer?  Not against some of those that have come before.

54- Willie Nelson. I love Willie... but he's got to go farther back. There's a spot open back there, make George Michael move back.

52- Mick Jagger. Speak of the Devil, so to speak.  Even classics like Angie don't pull him this far up.

51- Sade. Smooth as silk.  I haven't one problem with her here.

50- Joni Mitchell.  While we could fit her in the "buddies of the staff" category, I really have no problem with her here.  Plus, she did a dynamite job on the lp cover for CSN&Y So Far...


49-Rod Stewart. Man, I would love to sneak him in this high, his emotion is the best-conveyed in music. But...

47- Linda Ronstadt. No such problem here. Linda could be MUCH higher IMHO, but I'll figure that out when I do my re-rack after we hit #1.

And finally this week...

46- Mavis Staples. Like I'm going to argue about talent like that!


Nice job, buddUUUURRRRPdie! ('Scuze me!) Whut year are we on on the song you wouldn't turn off?

1979, and this was an odd week for it.  There was a blue ton of "almost but not quites", but I only ended up with seven that I would NEVER turn off the radio on.  As usual, I picked a top three, chose my top one out of the trio, and at least this week I didn't have so much trouble picking the top one.  My top three for this week in 1979...

Third place, at #4 on Cashbox, the Doobies and What A Fool Believes.

Second, at #60, a song that just kissed the top 40 on Billboard but got good play in Fort Wayne, the Beach Boys and Good Timin'.

And the top song I wouldn't turn off this week...


England Dan Seals and John Ford Coley, with Love Is The Answer, sitting at #18 this week!


But that says Nights Are...

I know what it said, I didn't see the need to grab a whole new picture!

Ya sure are crabby after eatin'...

Sorry, it's been a problem all day.  Just ask our 'water spider'...

"Water spider"?

That's what our company calls our 'go fetch it' girl.  Why, I have no idea.  I think they were trying to compare the position to a water BOATMAN...


...gliding across the plant, doing the odd jobs, but couldn't think of the right term.  Imagine that from a company that makes boat covers...

Anyway, the rest of a tightly packed M10...

9- Noah Kahan glides down 7 with Stick Season.

8- Manchester Orchestra stubbornly holds a spot in the ten, dropping 2 with The Way.

7- Cafune up 3 with Want Me Out.

6- Linkin Park up 2 with More The Victim.

5- Darius Rucker stuck here with Fires Don't Start Themselves.

4- Up 2 for Jelly Roll and Need A Favor.

3- Up 4 with Are You Bored Yet, Wallows with Clairo.

2- Up 2 for Caroline Rose and Everywhere I Go I Bring The Rain.

And again at the top...


...Gorillaz et al with New Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Now excuse us, we have a food coma to slip into....

3 comments:

  1. Some artists I like, some I don't know and some I don't like but all in all a good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Canadians are heartbroken about losing our most celebrated Toronto resident, Gordon Lightfoot. His music will live on for the ages. R.I.P. ♥

    As for the top singers list, IMO, Sade should place MUCH higher. She has such a beautiful contralto - smooth as silk.

    Mick Jagger should definitely be further back. I love Rod Stewart's voice but am probably a little biased. Super fan! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being retired. OT is a thing of the past. Thankfully, with two pensions and social security, food isn't a thing of the past. Yet.

    ReplyDelete