What is it about nice people that attract total idiots?Nice people are martyrs. Idiots are evangelists.

SOCK IT TO ME BABY!!!

Friday, May 19, 2023

M10 show Week #72

 

Well, we really get down towards the nitty-gritty on the rolling Rolling Stone countdown this week, and...

Elvis: Am I on it yet?

No...

Good!

Good?  You mean, you finally figured out that the longer you wait, the higher up you'll be?

Yeah, but I wanna be on next week.  I'm invitin' people...

You have people to invite? Never mind, surprise me- and hopefully I won't be surprising you! Anyway, we also have 2 debuts (#s 756 and 757) and a new #1 (the 207th), so let's have at it!

Hey! Din't you just have a Beach House song debut?

Yeah, but this one replaces it in the ten!  At #10 this week...


********************************************* 

All right, lessee how far we get this week!

Sure thing, buddy!  Y'all can look back on last week's explanation to see what exactly is going on here, but basically I'm pulling the singers with songs I know from Rolling Stone's 200 greatest singers of all time, and this week we are at... 

31- Luther Vandross.  Looking over his chart history, I guess I didn't know him as well as I thought.  A good voice, not one I'd put this high.

30- Hank Williams Sr. This might possibly be one that others would bust me on, but I have no problem with Hank here.

29- Chaka Khan. This is how this whole thing got started, because I found the list when Chaka complained, and later apologized, over some of the singers ahead of her!  Like Luther, a great voice, not one I'd put this high.

27- Dolly Parton. I have a song off her new, first time rock album just released on my shuffle. The woman is amazing. Well worth this high if not higher.

26- Paul McCartney. Yup, no problem here.

'ceptin' he's a Beatle...

Oh, shut up!

24- George Jones. In all honesty, I'd back him up a bit.  But not far.

23- Smokey Robinson. Ditto here.

22- Adele. This is one of the acts Chaka didn't appreciate trailing.  Personally I can see that, as I'm not big on Adele. But impartially, she should be ahead of CK.  Here? I struggle with that.

20- Marvin Gaye. I have a two word comment here.  Top Ten.

19- Frank Sinatra. And here- Top Five.

 

By the way, I am keeping a running re-rack of those I consider singers (not just entertainers, which I will be sharing for what it's worth.  In the meantime, our second debut...

Yeah, last time this gent debuted, it was at #3.  Almost did it again! At #7, here's Albert Hammond Jr...

 

******************************************************** 

Man, that last part made me cry...

Uh, yeah... mebbe we oughtta get to the song ya wouldn't turn off... 

Yeah... so we're up to 1977, and I whittled it down to yet another dozen, from which I took 3, and here they are- the songs I would NOT turn off the radio this week in '77... 

#3, because of memories associated with, this week's #2 on Cashbox, Glen Campbell and Southern Nights...

#2, CB's number 22 this week, Marshall Tucker Band and Heard It In A Love Song....

And my top song I wouldn't turn off, CB's #15 this week...


 ...Yvonne Elliman's Hello Stranger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Okay, now for this week's M10:

9- And surprisingly only up one- 100 gecs and Hollywood Baby...

8- and down 3, Linkin Park's More The Victim...

6- and up one, Lauren Daigle and New...

5- and up one, Cafune's Want Me Out...

4- last week's #1, Gorillaz et al and New Gold....

3- and stuck there, Jelly Roll and Need A Favor...

2- and back up 2, Wallows with Clairo and Are You Bored Yet....

And the new #1... a song that certainly didn't seem a #1 when first I heard it....





...Caroline Rose with Everywhere I Go I Bring The Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Next week, Lord willing, we WILL be in the RS top ten!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this bloody good post which I of course liked because yeah that's how I am

    ReplyDelete